RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using Crashplan Free to backup local desktops to my WHS2011 vs. WHS2011 Backup Service

theamazontom

theamazontom

I've got a MediaSmart ex495 that I have WHS2011 installed.  What are the differences (advantage/disadvantages) of using the WHS2011 backup service for my machines (where I would have to install the connector on all my desktops) vs. using Crashplan Free (where I install Crashplan on all my desktops and they back up to my WHS2011 that is also running Crashplan)?

Thanks,

theamazontom

jmwills

Basically, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, Crash Plan will only backup your data, whereas WHS will get your data and your systems.  In other other, Crash Plan cannot perform a bare metal restore of your computer systems where WHS can.

jcollison

You have it right John.  WHS2011=Bare metal restore.  CrashPlan=All your data - System Data

I think, the biggest disadvantage with CrashPlan is that you lose bare-metal recovery.

CrashPlan is great for backing up user files and folders. But I don't think it can do bare-metal recovery.

EDIT: Folks above beat me to it. Must learn to type faster. Lol

Edited by oj88
jmwills

Now, having said all of that, Crash Plan does have a place in your disaster recovery plan.  Program such as CP allow you to get at least one copy of the data offsite.

jcollison

In my book it's not either or, but both and.  I have CrashPlan installed on my WHS2011 and it backup up all the shared folders and files (in my case about 300GB) but not the pc backups on my Home Server.  That way I do have just about everything offsite.  For the client backups, I backup those backups over to an ioSafe Solo for fire and waterproof protection in case the house burns down.  Putting those in the cloud with CrashPlan doesn't work very well and seems a bit of an overkill.  

If I wanted to, I could also have the client PCs back up their data to any number of free cloud based services, just in case I had a complete home disaster. No bare metal backup, but there wouldn't be any bare metal to restore it to in theory!   I have listed a few of them out here: http://theaverageguy.tv/cloudstorage  

I agree with all the others: you should look at using both WHS Client Backup and CrashPlan. Use WHS Client Backup only for the OS drive/partition of your client PCs and CrashPlan for all you client PC data. Basically, CrashPlan would do the same job that RoboCopy does in my backup strategy.

I use WHS Client Backup on all clients while I use CrashPlan to backup shared personal (irreplaceable) folders on WHS to an external NAS (using symbolic links).

• 2 months later...
ChrisCowles

I use WHS Client Backup on all clients while I use CrashPlan to backup shared personal (irreplaceable) folders on WHS to an external NAS (using symbolic links).

Can you elaborate on "... using symbiotic links"?