RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
hazzey

IPv6

Guest no-control

I would think that having native IPv6 on your LAN would make life easier if the world outside of your LAN is talking v6. I don't know how well it would work to have your router convert everything from v6 on the outside to v4 on the inside. That would be functionally similar to a NAT.

Of course there is nothing keeping you from using both v4 and v6 on your LAN.  This would be a way to reference your internal resources via an easier to remember v4 address while still keeping v6 access to the outside world. (And before anyone mentions it, v6 access from the outside still has to make it through your firewall.)

At the risk of sounding rude....that first sentence explains the rest of what follows.

twinsun

The problem is that all our sticky tape solutions (in NAT) have meant that uptake and adoption of IPv6 has been slower than what we've needed.

Although, I believe we've now completely exhausted all allocations of IPv4 address blocks globally, so I guess this will help move it along.

I work for a large Service Provider here in the UK and there's absolutely ZERO IPv6 that I've seen (and I'm in contact with several thousand network devices for several clients.)

ikon

As an ISP, are you using IP6 internally? Many are now. I agree with no-control. Your post basically states the situation as it's likely to continue for a long time: people will use Private Range IP4 on their LAN and the ISPs will use IP6 to communicate with the rest of the world.

Although, now that the IP6 committee has decided that NAT actually is a really good idea, and has designated IP6 Private Ranges, the idea of having IP6 on both LAN and WAN is not so scary. Just having a local firewall, on the gateway router and/or on local computers is, IMHO, wholly and completely inadequate. NAT has proven to be a huge blessing in disguise. I think having it with IP6 will do likewise. Along with the other more secure features of IP6, we should be able to finally leave IP4 behind and actually end up with a better Internet. Still, I think a hybrid IP6/IP4 situation is not going away any time soon.

JayBee

IP4 numbers are just easier to remember. I can see a lot of sysadmins running ipv4 internally for many, many years to come. I can rattle off the internal  I.P's of servers I support pretty easily, I couldn't imagine doing this with IPV6. I'm beginning to experiment with IPV6 though in my home environment. 

ikon

LOL. Yeah, IP6 is going to be a real PITA to deal with from a naming convention standpoint, and I'm not sure the proposed shortcuts for putting IP6 addresses in print are all that much help.