RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
hazzey

IPv6

ImTheTypeOfGuy

We are going to look at Direct Access at work. My understanding is it requires ipv6?

jmwills

Agreed. For the foreseeable future virtually all LANs will stay on IP4. It's only when the IETF mandates the use of IP6 that we'll need to be concerned, if they ever actually do that.

How could anyone ever force you to use v6 inside the LAN?  Outside, yes but as long as your router can understand v6, what you do on the inside is your business.  Now, can a router step down from 6 to 4?  Intereeeesting!

hazzey

How could anyone ever force you to use v6 inside the LAN?  Outside, yes but as long as your router can understand v6, what you do on the inside is your business.  Now, can a router step down from 6 to 4?  Intereeeesting!

I would think that having native IPv6 on your LAN would make life easier if the world outside of your LAN is talking v6. I don't know how well it would work to have your router convert everything from v6 on the outside to v4 on the inside. That would be functionally similar to a NAT.

Of course there is nothing keeping you from using both v4 and v6 on your LAN.  This would be a way to reference your internal resources via an easier to remember v4 address while still keeping v6 access to the outside world. (And before anyone mentions it, v6 access from the outside still has to make it through your firewall.)

jmwills

Unless v6 shows me some new wiz bang features for a LAN, I see no point.  Unless I am totally off base, v6 is for the WAN side of the house.

ikon

I wasn't thinking of it as a matter of 'forcing'. I was thinking of it more as a situation where the task force simply deprecates IP4. At that point it's very possible manufacturers will opt to drop IP4 from their routers. Within a few years most people would no longer own an IP4 capable router. It might never come to that, but I think it's possible.

As far as I know, most routers that have IP6 & IP4 capability can also translate IP6 traffic, say from the internet, to IP4 format on the LAN.

jmwills

Hold on to your old gear!!

ikon

It's gonna die at some point. Most home routers last less than 10 years.

jmwills

Untangle baby!!!!

ikon

As you know, I am running UT, but, if the task force deprecates IP4 even the makers of UT, pfSense, and others may drop support for it. No, it's not a certainty, but it could happen. Just sayin'.....