RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSE 2012 "Updating and preparing your server" hangs at 0%

Bluewind

I am installing on a 64-bit Intel CPU. Installation works fine until I get to the "updating and preparing" step. Once that screen appears it never gets past 0% (it does not start at all). In another thread there was a discussion about networking issues. Just before this step I can see the networking icon and it looks normal. If I open a command prompt while I am frozen at zero % and run ipconfig I had an IP address and networking looks normal.

How can I get past zero %?

Thanks.

Mark

I believe I had to open a command prompt and force an ipconfig /renew mid-install to keep it moving.

The IP address was 192.168.1.105. You are welcome to ping it :D

I had a valid IP address on my home network. The WAN connection was working fine. I did a traceroute to update.microsoft.com on another PC on the LAN side and it had no problems. I have no problems with Microsoft updates on other PCs.

I use an Astaro router so it is always possible that Microsoft is using an unexpected port (i.e., not 80 or 440) to update the WSE 2012. I checked the firewall logs and did not see anything unusual.

Thanks.

I did get WSE finally installed. Unfortunately I can't provide much guidance to anyone else in a similar situation.

I did all of the following before starting the install so one or more of the fixes I tried may be the answer or it could be sunspot activity. I wanted to be scientific in my approach but ran out of time.

a) Ran Spinrite hard disk maintenance utility software. There were no errors reported but Spinrite fixes many disk errors without reporting them.

B) Moved the hard drive to another PC.

c) Opened all network ports into or out of the WSE.

d) Installed from a DVD instead of USB.

It worked.

Jason reported that he had to renew his network settings during install. During one of my prior tests I was able to get to 50% install and then it hung. I opened a command prompt while the prepping step was taking place and renewed. The prep process continued again to 98% and then quit.

Thanks to all who helped.

P.S.: As a former WHS v.1 and 2011 user I am happy with WSE 2012 although it has only been running for a few days.