RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using as a remote media streaming service

Beansontoast

Ikon, you are generally correct in what you say, although I have to reserve some judgement until I can see WHS2011 backup  in action.

There are some appalling backup products that claim to be enterprise class when they would fall far short of non-enterprise. And products by the big-fella's too .... CA, IBM, HP. Three of their products you wouldn't touch with a barge pole, yet industry throws billions at them, and I'm not exaggerating.

Fortunately, I do a lot of work in this area so have the benefit of years of pain with the 'duds' but have also managed to experience the better ones too.

Will definitely be looking at WHS2001. Sounds promising.

Updates to follow.

After all, it is called "Windows Home Server".  I too work in the industry and can see everything Backup Exec and Vertias can do which is way too much for the home user.  WHS is a perfect medium.

Please don't get me wrong. There are features that the really good enterprise products bring to the mix that WHS doesn't. Primarily I'm thinking of centralized management of backups, but I'm ruling out other features. The tradeoff is that WHS client backup is pretty simple to administer which, like jmwills said, makes it perfect for home use.

That said, if you're using an enterprise product at work, it might be worthwhile for you to use it at home, just to help you keep your skills up.