RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using as a remote media streaming service

Beansontoast

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at using my N40L to replace an old Synology NAS for Audio Streaming (one of many uses to be honest).

One of the things I want to do with the Audio Streams is to be able to pick up it remotely, as in from outside of my home network via the web.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this on the N40L?

I am expecting this will take a fair bit of config, and a lot of it beyond the scope of simply looking at the N40L, but thought I would float this onto this forum as I can see there is a lot of expertise on here.

I realise this is going to be pretty involved as I hosted a blog a while back and remember having to set up dynamic dns (I don't have static), and port forwarding amongst other things.

Help and direction on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Good point, and completely forgot to mention.

I have 2008 R2 at the moment.

I wouldn't rule out another OS, although given my lack on non-windows skills, it will have to be Windows.

OK - sounds more than interesting.

What exactly (or even vaguely) does WHS2011 do that 2008 can't?

Would be good to flesh out a few more details if at all possible.

OK.  I need to run a quick trial install.

My primary use of this server is for backup and recovery and I'm using Enterprise class software, hence i have 2K8 installed. Need to see if 2011 is ok for the install.

I'll have a look round.

Thanks the info ......

WHS2011 is Server 2008 with a few features removed.  But from what you described, WHS will do it all, especially the remote access.

I suspect many members would agree with me that the backup provided by WHS2011 is equal, or better, than most, if not all, enterprise class software. The main difference I would note is that WHS2011 is restricted in the number of client PCs it will handle, a restriction that rarely becomes an issue for home use or, to be honest, for many small  businesses.