RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Complete and utter mess after connector install

dvn

Background:

Yesterday, I installed WS2012E in a 2TB XenServer vm. Upon running the connector software, I observed my PC reboot into what can only be described as some sort of rogue PC refresh mode. When it was done with whatever 'setting things up' actions it decided to take, I was prompted to run Windows Easy Transfer. What the...??

WS2012E connector - what I saw after 1st installing the connector.PNG

In short, even after going through with the 'suspect' WET process, a number of my programs are now gone, some still exist but are no longer listed in 'Programs and Features' and all of my docs and download files are gone. One program that still exists but is no longer listed in P&F is XenCenter, the remote management for XenServer.  Dropbox is gone. This is nuts!

So what the heck happened? Anyway, I don't actually expect anyone to have answers as much as I just wanted to report a really weird and major glitch.  lol??  I guess...   :)  

*Oh, and when I open Windows Explorer, it just searches and searches but doesn't display anything.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• dvn

• ikon

• Big Worm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah!  So I rebooted and logged into my live.com account instead of the domain account.  Everything's there.  I still don't understand why but thank goodness.

If I understood correctly when I was going through the domain join, the connector install will try to copy the settings from your local users to the domain users. In my case, this worked fine for my wife's and my daughters accounts because their profiles were small. However, I ran into significant trouble with my own profile, for which the transfer failed. My profile is for some reason very large (several hundred GB, not sure why). As a result of the failed transfer, my domain account is nearly empty with most applications missing from the domain profile. I do not really care, but everything works fine if I use my local account. I just have to remember to continue to log on with my local account rather than my domain account. Looks like something similar happened to you.

Edited by revengineer

This was a Windows 8 PC, right ?

I have seen this happen. I mentioned it on a podcast. So it's not something you did wrong. I would say that Microsoft has not worked out all the quirks.

Thanks for the replies, revengineer and diehard.  Yes John, a W8 PC.  So if I understand correctly, this shouldn't happen but can if the profile is large-ish?  So many variables - setting up XenServer just yesterday for the 1st time and then installing a new server OS.  Yikes!  Ah well, it's all good (kinda) now. So I guess I'll continue to log in with the live.com account and I can rely on WS2012E to back up my PC anyway, right?  

Has anyone tried to use Windows Easy Transfer to export their local account and import it into their domain account?

Has anyone tried to use Windows Easy Transfer to export their local account and import it into their domain account?

Yes. I did this earlier this evening and was amazed at how well it worked. Though I'm still trying to understand how folder redirection works since there aren't the traditional folders showing up under c:usersuser.

Prior to Win7, it was called File & Settings Transfer Wizard, and it was a bit 'iffy'. With Win7, it got the name Windows Easy Transfer and was suddenly very much improved. I vividly remember a number of colleagues at work thanking me for recommending it, especially those who'd had less than satisfactory experiences with the old version. As they said, they would never have tried the new one on their own.

Ok. What I think I'll do is first make a nice Acronis backup, and then uninstall the connector software, and then delete the domain account.  And then start over.  I can see where this should have worked.

Ah!  So I rebooted and logged into my live.com account instead of the domain account.  Everything's there.  I still don't understand why but thank goodness.

These are the challenges with working with domains.  Once you installed the connector and joined the domain it creates a new user profile for this account.  Nothing gets transferred to this profile.  You can run the easy transfer wizard that is supposed to transfer the profile from one to another.  When you logged back in as your live account it used that old profile folder.  

This is all expected behavior.