RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

To get or Not get: Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Unleashed

judgeschambers

I've typically learned all I need from forums and such, but I've been out of the WHS loop for a few years and WHS 2012 does some things different than I'm used to.

Wondering if this book is worth getting or not. I know it's subjective, but wanted some insight. Learn about what I don't know....that I don't know.  Barns & Noble has the E-version with their app for $22.  Cheap to me, but does it give me what I want to learn?

I'm not entirely happy with the way I have to get to the WHS Shares via the Launch Pad or browse to the PC's Network section to get to a folder. And my Win-7 machines only allow you to set a desktop folder link one folder at a time vs a group like V1.

Also, it seems my one Win-7 PC has done away with My Docs from the OS and tiered the WHS Docs, Vids, Pics into the Libraries section. Adding clutter....not exactly family friendly.

Further making getting to them slow. Looking into a way to link, map or something too. Same for new folders I make on WHS or specific folders for User PC's on the network.

Not sure if right clicking the folder and just changing the targets to go to the WHS folder is the way to go or not.  Which would make the folders seem like their located on the actual PC's (what I want).

I know that's a lot, but trying to see if there's some guidance on these topics in the manual before getting it.

Edited by judgeschambers

I'm not around my Windows 7 box right now but I wasn't happy with the shortcut sitation either.  I was so used to the MediaSmart shortcut that was put on every desktop that had the client installed.  I created a shortcut to a network location which is the homeserver's shares.  Once I click it up pops all the shares on the server and I dig in to whatever I need.

Otherwise, If I have an app that needs something I map a drive directly to, photos for example. 

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure I understand exactly what issue you're having with shortcuts in Win7, but I use Libraries to access the shares on my server.

• Like 1

You can map a network drives all day long to the server.  Redirect local folders/libraries to the server.  The user should never have to know what is happening.

• Like 1

You all made good points.  Beforehand, I dug around and realized that changing the links to point to WHS or mapping would suffice.

My libraries are a mess on my Win-7 machine...not sure how. I hate to admit it, but it just happened after installing WHS connector. Between the std My Docs, a libraries Docs, user doc and now it's automatically picking up the Documents on WHS too.  Then it repeated for music, photos and videos.

Looks like I have to restructure it all. Plus, I have two user PC's on the network; Hers and mine. So, I need to create a user folder on WHS with Documents & downloads for each. That way they stay separated.  But we will share the std WHS music, pictures, TV and video folders.

Library Tree Here

Update:

Just deleted all the multiple libraries and then added all the WHS folders to Libraries for : Docs, vids, pics, music and Downloads. Same for other PC.  Did not set as a Map Network drive. Works good.

Thanks.