RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sage TV versus Popcorn Hour

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Has anyone seen any articles discussing the pro's and con's of each unit in the same article. Kind of a versus or comparison article. I am looking to buy one but am not sure which yet as I am still gathering data and putting together my requirements. What would your requirements be?

My Requirements List (still being developed)
- doesnt' require an add-in or software on my server
- supports dvd and blu-ray; preferrable in iso format and folder structure
- supports lossless audio
- supports all common music and audio types.
- LAN connection; wireless as an option
- supports full 1080p and 7.2 audio
- hdmi output

What else? What would you look for?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• usacomp2k3

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

I plan to get one (at first) of the new Popbox (http://www.popbox.com/) units as soon as they are available. Same people tht make the Popcorn Hour stuff, but this unit will sell for a little over $100. Right now, I use a hack old Xbox on two of our TV's and XBMC software on on HTPC in the family room.

Take a look at the new Popbox before you buy the Popcorn hour unit. I think the new one will be out any time now. At one point they said early Spring.

Good point diehard. I am still going to buy a Popbox as soon as they come out. If it works better than my hacked Xbox's, I will replace them, if not, I will stick with the Xbox's until I figure out something better.

Do you want live TV? If so, you'll need go to with Sage, as Popcorn doesn't support tuners.

@geek-accountant,
The old xbox's with XBMC is a great platform. There is still a lot of development going on. The only negative thing I could find is the lack of 1080 resolution, beside that, it does it all. Too bad it doesn't work on the new XBOX.

You are sooo right diehard. I wish XBMC would work on the Xbox 360. I run it on my Win7 HTPC, but if it could run on my 360, I would get rid of the HTPC.

I thought development of XBMC was stopped for the old Xbox.

usacomp2k3,

Live TV is not required. I wll probably just use MC to record it (using HD homerun) and then I would play it back on the Sage or Popcorn. Or would MC save it as a file that only MC can use?

You'd need to see if Sage can play .wtv files. I don't know. If it can play .dv-rms files then it is pretty simple to setup a service that will automatically convert them.