RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Red VS WD Black Caviar for drive replacement in Mediasmart server

phatguy29

I have two Mediasmart servers and am in the process of moving from an EX487 to an EX495.   Once completed, the EX487 is going to be a dedicated backup to the EX495.  In doing so, I am going to replace the drives I have in my EX487 (four WD Black Caviar 1 TB) with two 2 TB drives and migrate the WD Black Caviar drives to the EX495 (for the short term.)

Price is not an object.  

I can not find a lot of information on the WD Red drives.  My question is simple: should I anticipate the same enterprise class reliability from the WD Red as I can with the WD Black Caviar?

I am perfectly fine with spending more money for a longer MTBF (or anticipated MTBF.)  In the end, I want the most reliable system almost regardless of price.

Let me reiterate: price is not an object.

Thanx in advance.

I wouldn't consider the Blacks to be an Enterprise class drive (that's just me) but for hat you are doing, the Reds will be a perfect replacement. You didn't mention an OS so I guess you are sticking with V1?

Indeed, Caviar Blacks are not enterprise class drives: RE2/3/4 are WD's enterprise class HDDs. I also agree, unless you require the extra performance, Reds are a good choice for your server. That said, I would never discourage you from buying RE drives for your server. They are high performing and reliable.