RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Untangle and WS2012E

Poppapete

I have put an UT box in bridge mode between my RT-N66U router and 1 client (my PC). The WS2012E is connected to the same router (but not thru the UT box). I cannot get remote access from this client to the server and the server is showing alert. "DNS client not configured to point to the internal IP address of the server". I assume the router is doing all the DNS requests but I recall the WSE connector can change this so the WSE does all requests. Tinkertry had some insight into this?!  

I should Note.

The 3 clients are connected with the unsupported "SkipDomainJoin"

I have been having other minor problems ever since the update a couple of weeks ago.

Unless I do not understand your configuration, you are going to have many issues with this.  Even in bridge mode I believe the UT box will perform a NAT of sorts which is probably why you cannot connect to it.  If you went and built a UT box, why not use it as a router and let it do the DHCP and handle the port forwarding.  It will be far better than your existing router and will avoid the issues of this configuration.

^^ What he said. I find it hard to understand why you wouldn't just remove the RT-N66U from the mix and run the UT as your router. If you need, use the router as a wireless access point; just don't use any of its routing or switching capabilities.

^^ What he said. I find it hard to understand why you wouldn't just remove the RT-N66U from the mix and run the UT as your router. If you need, use the router as a wireless access point; just don't use any of its routing or switching capabilities.

I do almost exactly this in my home env. Have an ASUS RT-N66U router as an AP only behind pfsense router. Primary DNS in AP points to my WS2012e server IP which acts as both my DNS and DHCP server. However when my WS2012e server is restarting all LAN clients lose Internet access. Is it possible to revert LAN clients to the pfsense router for Internet access only when the WS2012e box is unavailable?

It seems to me that having your pfsense box IP as the secondary DNS on your clients could fix your issue.

You could change all your clients to static, manual IP configurations, but you probably would prefer to leave them on automatic. I just don't know how you set up the server to give out the pfsense's IP as the secondary DNS. I would have a look at the DNS Role settings.

Thanks for all the input. I thought setting up the UT in bridge mode would be the simplest.  I will reconfigure it as a router and see how it all goes.  I did try pfsense in the box first but found it a more complicated piece of software and my research seemed to suggest UT was better for UTM which is the main reason I am trying these two products.

It seems to me that having your pfsense box IP as the secondary DNS on your clients could fix your issue.

You could change all your clients to static, manual IP configurations, but you probably would prefer to leave them on automatic. I just don't know how you set up the server to give out the pfsense's IP as the secondary DNS. I would have a look at the DNS Role settings.

Thanks ikon. Can you recall where in DNS Manager I can locate the option to give our a secondary DNS IP? Been a while since I set this up.

Thanks for all the input. I thought setting up the UT in bridge mode would be the simplest. I will reconfigure it as a router and see how it all goes. I did try pfsense in the box first but found it a more complicated piece of software and my research seemed to suggest UT was better for UTM which is the main reason I am trying these two products.

One benefit of pfsense is it's traffic shaping/QoS. Once you finally get it tuned, it is very powerful.

Thanks ikon. Can you recall where in DNS Manager I can locate the option to give our a secondary DNS IP? Been a while since I set this up.

As I mentioned, I don't how to set it up, as I'm not currently using WSE2012.

What I can suggest is that you conduct a test: manually configure 1 client PC as follows:

• a static IP
  • the IP of your server as the primary DNS
  • the IP of your router as the secondary DNS

Then try accessing the internet from that PC with the server running, and with it shut down. If it works, dig deeper into configuring the server's DNS Server to do it automatically.

OK, I have set the UT box as a router connected to my cable modem and got my desktop working.  So then started connecting all the other PCs, media servers and finally the 2012E.  All seems to be working. Have one new alert in the server.

"The DNS Client is not configured to point only to the
internal address of the server
"

Is that a problem? It classes it as "critical" !!!!!!

I have left the ASUS RT-66U connected to the modem in its own LAN for wireless access for my internet radio and as an access point for friends who drop by.