RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
dabretty

mControl - Where to Buy, Discounts, Etc?

shollz

@wodysweb I was thinking the same thing. I was about to buy mControl a while back and it seemed like they did not update it like they used to. I am looking into those other options since I would really like to get my home automation up to speed a little more.

wodysweb

@dabretty, I agree mControl does work, and probably will work well with the existing products on the market that they have developed for...I'd just be concerned for any future hardware, driver, new feature support.

dabretty

I thought I'd post an update to this. About four days after I put the powered USB hub in-line (between modem and EX495) it failed again. I traded some messages with Tim Daleo on this topic, and apparently he is now running into the same connectivity issues. Considering it was his article that first alerted me to the home automation possibilities, I found this a bit disturbing.

I sent SmartHome (maker of the PowerLinc modem) an e-mail, as I did the mControl guys. The mControl guys responded very quickly and basically said - as I expected - that it was the hardware/modem, which I have to agree on, and they suggested there will be an ethernet-based Insteon modem from somebody at some point soon that should clear all of this up. The SmartHome guys eventually responded, and basically treated me as if I had no idea how to troubleshoot anything ("did you try re-loading the drivers?", "did Windows play a connected hardware sound when you plugged it in?!", etc). I couldn't respond to this, I was just burnt out with dealing with it.

My lack of a response, however, apparently led to them calling me today, which kind of pleasantly surprised me (at first). Unfortunately I was thoroughly unimpressed with the guy. He tells me that it's basically Microsoft's fault, for supposedly causing incompatibility issues with their product (because Windows Server 2003 has been changing so much lately? Brilliant, SmartHome, brilliant!). I said to him "well it sounds like this is a very common problem with your hardware based on internet searches" to which he snapped back with "no, it's not ... less than 1%." I pushed him for a proposal as to a hardware solution for me (another identical modem from them, a different one, etc), to which he told me that there basically wasn't one. He said that none of their USB products would work with my setup (that being WHS and a MediaSmart server). So I'm RMA'ing for a refund.

However, because I did invest in two switches I did order (indepedently) their serial version of this modem. I also ordered a cheap USB-to-serial adapter that supposedly supports Windows Server 2003.

I will update as I exhaust this last possibility of getting this working. I still have ten days or so left on the mControl trial, so just enough time to get a feel for if I may have found a solution. By the way, as much as people here might have concerns about mControl, so far - from what I've seen - it's the SmartHome guys that are the scum.