RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSUS

marky9074

So I installed this today, more as a learning process for me to be honest. But with only three workstations as clients is it really worth it? I thought once I had selected the products to monitor that would be it, but it looks like you have to approve updates? Also when I look at the status of my workstations the 'installed/not applicable' status is 61%, 65% & 99% respectively. The three workstations are all the same spec Dell's and have all had the same updates, so I'm not sure how to read this counter, plus all of them have checked in with WSUS...

Is this too much like hard work for such a small user base?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• Greg Welch

• jmwills

• marky9074

Guest no-control

The last sentence pretty much sums it up. WSUS for most home environments equates to using a big rig to back down your drive way to just pick up the mail.

Ya but  we can.  LOL    I just loaded it up yesterday :)  but am working on an issue it cant see my clients

So I installed this today, more as a learning process for me to be honest. But with only three workstations as clients is it really worth it? I thought once I had selected the products to monitor that would be it, but it looks like you have to approve updates? Also when I look at the status of my workstations the 'installed/not applicable' status is 61%, 65% & 99% respectively. The three workstations are all the same spec Dell's and have all had the same updates, so I'm not sure how to read this counter, plus all of them have checked in with WSUS...

Is this too much like hard work for such a small user base?

Having done this for a few years now, I agree with the others, WSUS for home use is probably overkill..... however, if you're an ITPro learning and understanding WSUS is one of those core skills that you definitely should have IMHO, and learning it in a small controlled environment (like a home or a private lab) is a lot safer than having to learn it 'on-the-job'.

Lawrence Garvin

SolarWinds Head Geek

Microsoft MVP (WSUS) 2005-2013

Having done this for a few years now, I agree with the others, WSUS for home use is probably overkill..... however, if you're an ITPro learning and understanding WSUS is one of those core skills that you definitely should have IMHO, and learning it in a small controlled environment (like a home or a private lab) is a lot safer than having to learn it 'on-the-job'.

Lawrence Garvin

SolarWinds Head Geek

Microsoft MVP (WSUS) 2005-2013

Does this mean you are just a SolarWinds user or you work for them? Just curious, my staff uses it at work and I am learning the tool.

The last sentence pretty much sums it up. WSUS for most home environments equates to using a big rig to back down your drive way to just pick up the mail.

Funny, I like that analogy. My wife could use this one for me all the time. Just last week I used the chainsaw to cut up some twigs. Why, because I could!

Does this mean you are just a SolarWinds user or you work for them? Just curious, my staff uses it at work and I am learning the tool.

I work for SolarWinds.