RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast Episode 218, Are you a digital hoarder?

Dave

This is a supporting forums post for episode 218 of the podcast.  Feel free to discuss the main topic of hoarding and reduction here.

I used to be, but I've mostly reformed. When I realized I had stuff I hadn't even looked at in 10 years, and stuff I didn't even remember having, I decided there was no point keeping all this 'stuff'.

When you have moved around as much as I have in the past 9 years, you learn how easy it is to digitize everything to take with you, and I mean everything.  Even in Kabul, I have two sets of the data I brought with me originally.

When you have moved around as much as I have in the past 9 years, you learn how easy it is to digitize everything to take with you, and I mean everything.  Even in Kabul, I have two sets of the data I brought with me originally.

I hear that! :)

One thing we didn't get into more deeply was the digitizing of documents.  I know Chris reduced his paper documentation from a stack to literally nothing.  I think I'm more open to this now.  I'm wondering if a Neat receipts document scanner would work for my family?  I type this having just finished wrapping up our tax documents.

I have often looked at the Neat Receipts scanners and wondered if it could help me get organized.  Mainly because I am one very unorganized person when it comes to paperwork.

Before anyone looks at digital document storage, I would check with geek_accountant. I personally think the Neat system is overpriced. The scanner also seems really slow. I bought a Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner. While it's very fast, and does double-sided scanning, I do NOT recommend it. The issue is that there is no TWAIN driver for the ScanSnap series, and Fujitsu has no intention of providing one. This seriously limits the organizing software you can use.