RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 84, What did you think ?

diehard

Hi Everyone,

This week the four of us had a bit of a break, we left some space for a interview Dave had with Greg Hayes from PerfectDisk. It runs about 45 minutes with some hard questions to Greg about should you or shouldn't you defrag. What do you think ?

The public beta is out for Addin Central http://www.homeserverland.com/blogs/b/hslblog/archive/2010/04/06/add-in-central-the-mother-of-all-add-ins.aspx
let's write about it here, http://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/add-in-central-now-available

Jim gave us an update on his choice of CPU and posible motherboard, so please chime in and support Jim's homebuild.
http://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/help-jim-build-his-new-whs-frankenbuild-the-motherboard

Happy 5th anniversary to Ian Dixon on The Media Center Show Podcast.

Chris gave us a couple teasers. Fun stuff ahead.

Thanks for listening and posting.

John.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• pcdoc

Top Posters In This Topic

That was quite a technically intense interview on the subject of fragmentation. I really enjoyed it. Well done, Dave. You obviously spent some time preparing good, relevant questions beforehand.

It was interesting to hear someone say that NTFS was designed to fragment, which makes sense, though you'd never think of it like that. I'm still convinced that a defragmenter like PD11 can make a nice difference, especially when streaming movies. While you may not see a huge difference with a home-built WHS featuring an i3 and an SSD or some otherwise really zippy SATA HDD (because file I/O in a system like that is going to cream the EX495, and make up for, to a significant extent, any stuttering due to file fragmentation), on a system like EX495 a defragmenter will make a nice difference.

It was also interesting to hear that all these defraggers call the Windows API that controls defragmenting.

I listened to the podcast and enjoyed Greg explaining about fragmentation. Some of it was over my head (not hard to do), but I tried to grasp as much as I could. That being said, the following point was lost on me:
Ultimately (assuming well-functioning hardware/drivers), is fragmentation a performance issue or a data integrity issue or both?

Basically where i'm coming from is the following: If it's only a performance issue, then I don't think I need to get "religious" about it---I'll defrag whenever my video streams start stuttering or (to use an example from the podcast), when I feel the need to try to boot 5% faster. However, if it's a data integrity issue, then (being my paranoid self) I'm probably going to want to defrag quite often.

Just finishing up listening. Did I hear wrong or did Dave slip and during the interview and call the program Keepvault?

It was a very interesting discussion and also reinforced my thought on running PerfectDisk on hard drives.

@byronomo - I don't think I heard anything relating to data integrity. The defrag programs are all using the same NTFS API that was used to write the data anyways, so it shouldn't improve the integrity of the data.

Raxco/PerfectDisk support gets a thumbs up from me for responding to a specific question I had a few years back. I was developing a maintenance utility for XP and wanted to incorporate Raxco. Someone got back to me the next day with just the information I was looking for.

@byronomo - the only thing I heard about data integrity was the discussion around shadow copy. If I understand correctly, shadow copy on WHS is not supported. I believe it is turned off by default, even though some people are turning it on.

@cskenney, Dave actually did it twice.

I really liked the interview A+. I hope to have my write-up done by next week for ya'lls viewing pleasure.

@usacomp2k3, I heard both times. I was trying to cut him some slack. It was a great interview. I told some co-workers that I must be a major nerd because I was listening to the podcast and enjoying the detail that was being discussed.

WOW... I will have to listen to this one several time to wrap my brain cell's around all of this info and sub-info. But as always i love this show... great information and Dave you did very very well on this interview. You took in the info and responded with pertinent info... shows us that your light is on. (a good thing)

Again great show folks, love it.

Thank you

TheGuy

THis was awesome and I enjoyed it enough to get a copy for my home server. From the looks of it, it will run for quite some time as it is only 1% done after 45 mins and this is on my small server. The interface is very nice and it has numerous options.

Great show guys!