RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
awraynor

Anyone using Bitcasa?

awraynor

Trying a new "Unlimited" online storage service with Amazon as their backend.

It is touted as unlimited for all of your computers, now at $69 for a year to start.

It is more like an unlimited Dropbox than a CrashPlan. It has a pretty decent 

web portal with the ability to view photos, play music and videos. 

https://www.bitcasa.com/

Any thoughts?

Dave

I used this throughout their beta period but didn't pick it up as a product when they went public.  They have a lot of backing and I think most of the founders came from Mozy.  They did a big presentation at the Tech Crunch app war thing.  I forget the name. I have yet to check it out but they also have a Metro app for RT.

Are you loading it on your server?

Sam Winston

I've read about a bunch of problems at Bitcasa, enough to make me want to shy away.  Dropbox has been great but I like the idea of unlimited cloud.  Recently I tried Pogoplug and so far it's been great.  It's not sync but it is unlimited.

awraynor

I tried Bitcasa earlier on and it simply didn't work. Yesterday after a new install it worked great.

What particular problems did you read about? I really like the idea of an infinite online drive,

especially at that cost.

Just using it on my test machine. Earlier it didn't work well, yesterday I tried it again and it worked very well.

I like that it is infinite storage, and has a reasonable interface online to actually access your data, pictures, etc.

Edit: Posts merged by ADMIN

Francisco
Hi!

I have tested Bitcasa for two weeks and I also think it's a good concept and it's becoming better.

I have prepared an introduction to Bitcasa and a handbook in Spanish language here also for the sake of it http://www.gestionconsult.es/blog/manual-rapido-de-bitcasa-almacen-infinito-nube/

Suggestions and comments are welcome ;-)

Kind regards!

Francisco

pcdoc

I used it and reported on it in BYOB.  It could be good and the concept is good, but as of now it was pretty bad.  If they fix it will be the closest competitor to SkyDrive in terms of functionality and presentation.  It just does not work very well right now.

awraynor

I've had a little better luck. My big issue with CrashPlan is I want to access and view my data remotely 

and quit having so many different services. 

pcdoc

I've had a little better luck. My big issue with CrashPlan is I want to access and view my data remotely 

and quit having so many different services. 

Amen.  Crashplan is strictly a backup server and does not do the online access very well.  For everything including everyday access it is tough to beat SkyDrive.  It integrates better into windows, works great on IOS, the android app for the Nexus is awesome, and just works in RT.  DropBox is the only other one that works just as well across everything but DropBox is a nightmare on other levels.  Just try reformatting a drive that has DropBox on it or move things around and see what happens to your data.  Just my two cents.  Live data in SkyDrive and backup with Crashplan.

awraynor

I like and use SkyDrive but the obvious issue is that they don't have storage allotments that are big enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2