RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dumb question - access 2012 from un-connected machine

Jesse

Hello,

I am finally starting to get rolling with WS 2012E and I have what is probably a dumb question.  I have only one client connected, and it seems to be working well, but there is a lot of prep work to be done before I roll out the new server and retire WHS2011, so I need access to the server shares from machines outside the new domain.  When I pull up the network in windows explorer on a machine outside the domain the server does not appear at all.  Will this be as simple as enabling the guest account, or is there more to it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

Map a drive to the Shared Folder name, such as:

\\name_of_server\video

You will be prompted for Domain Credentials.  Supply your Domain Account in this format:

Name_of_Domain\account_name

One caveat:  These drives will show up as offline when you reboot until you either manually supply your credentials again, or put your account credentials in the "Credential manager" from the Control Panel applet.

Hi Jesse!  Check out this thread started by GaryT  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4993-my-migration-from-ws2011-to-ws2012e-using-workgroups/

In particular, what I think you're looking for is to go into S2012E and check the "Computer Browser" service and enable it then reboot.  Worked for me.

"... When I went to one of my networked PCs, I noticed that the new server did not show up on the network. I then checked the “Computer Browser” service on WSE and found that it was not running; so, I enabled it and rebooted. ..."

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the help.  I will give it a go when I get home tonight.

This is turning out to be quite a learning experience.  Big fun.

Jesse

Also.

If you dont want everyone on your LAN to access a particular folder/share you can use a "dollar-share".

It is really simple. You just but a dollar sign in the end of the foldername. Such as: "PrivateDocuments$".

If we assume your put that folder in the root, you can access it by typing: "\\your_server_ip\PrivateDocuments$".

All that does is make the share hidden....not restrict access.  The ACL grants/denies access.