RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trying out WHS2011 for first time

ziki

Use Smart card logons and forget the password nonsense.

But you need an infrastructure for that. I'm surprised MS hasn't made 2 factor login more available.

Ahhh if I told you that here I'd have to kill the internet and then kill you! :D lols.

Dunno ... never really thought about it. to be honest. Just used the tools I was given.

I guess that with windows passwords ... there is an encrypted file that contains the passwords, and the software just has to work out which encryption algorithm or combination of algorithms to use, I dunno. I'll ask some mates of mine who are in the pentesting world. I'm sure that they'll be able to tell me.

:)

• 1 year later...

There should be a password hint.  If not, you could use something like Hirens' boot CD to clear the Admin password.  ALL OF THIS IS BEING SAID WITH THE ASSUMPTION THE SYSTEM IS YOURS AND YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO HACK ANOTHER SERVER.

Cool just watched this video and it happened. You just saved me a format.

Someone remind me though why it was necessary to split disk into 2 partitions. I have one of 60 and one of 80. And dont remember why.

I'm not really sure this is a WHS2011 issue, but i dont get hard drives listed besides the one running the OS, even if i place one before booting. What could be wrong here?