RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trying out WHS2011 for first time

ziki

I just installed WHS2011 yesterday and I'm having some starter questions.

Firstly why did it need an active network connection to finish the installation? As soon as it first booted, it asked for network, and after i provided it it continued setting up files and last settings. What if i didn't have a network connection at the time?

Why did it split my drive into 2 partitions (150GB drive became 60+90) without me asking to?

So anyway since I'm running it for the first time, i feel kinda lost. What are the main features it provides and what can i do with it now, that with other commercial windows i couldnt do before? I kept hearing people recommending this for home server PCs, and i thought i should give it a try and see if it suits my needs.

It really didn't "need" a network connection to finish, the best I remember.  Your drive was split but the script in order to provide room for the OS and the rest is allocated for storage.

-Maybe you had an active connection already and you didnt notice it? Cause once i booted it didnt give me any option. It network connection was not detected. Plug a network connection and reboot the system. If i rebooted without plugging the ethernet it kept giving me this message until i did.

-Which Script? You meant its standard procedure? Anyway i just found it odd. Why not have a single partition for system and storage?

The entire installation is scripted, with the exception of the personal data.  The drive is partitioned so that the server backup will not get included with the data backups, in my opinion.

Two areas I would concentrate your learning on would be Bare Metal Restores of clients and Data Backup from the clients.

Why does the login password need to have 3 categories combinations? Like upper case lower case numbers and characters? Cant i go around it and just put an 8 char pass with numbers?

Also, Has WHS 2012 essentials or Server 2012 anything more to offer compares to WHS2011? Have you guys used them as well?

This, again, is a Best Practices item. Letters and numbers without requiring upper & lower case, numbers, and special character is considered the minimum for reasonable security.

It is possible to modify the password requirements by altering the policy, but it's not recommended.