RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My setup - HTPC and Home Server in one with Ubuntu

Wes

I guess I'll start this forum with my setup.

I used WHSv1 and WHS 2011 on a small atom box, and I had a Windows Media Center on a bigger Core2Duo HTPC as a DVR.

I felt the atom box was a little underpowered for WHS 2011 and wanted to consolidate the two so decided to build a new system based on MythTV, adding the server functions as well. 

My rig:

Case: LIAN LI PC-Q25B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-360GP 360W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GAB
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A85X-ITX FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU: AMD A10-5700 Trinity 3.4GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D
Harddrives: 120GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD, 1.5TB HDD, 750GB HDD, 640GB HDD

It is a tight small setup that I really like. The case has a 5 HD bay and then room for a 3 more drives across the bottom, given you don't use a separate video card.
For "drive extender" type functionality I used greyhole originally, and it really does that well. However, I ended up moving to a ZFS raidz for even better data integrity security.

I've tried to document my rig and setup at http://linux.freethenoise.com/.

If anyone else is interested in trying something similar, I'm willing to offer any help that I can.

I'm using URBackup. It does incremental images of your primary drive (others as well if you choose, I do just file backups of partitions other than the primary), and has a boot able Linux image that can then access those images and perform a bare metal restore.

The other option I've seen is Bacula, but it looked overly complicated to setup. URBackup is basically pre-configured - you just tell it the directory to save the images/files, then install the windows client program.

Thanks. This was always the piece that was missing from the using Linux as a home server picture. If it is truly possible to do Bare Metal Restores to Windows & Linux & other client PCs, that really makes it viable IMHO.

I assume the client can backup to, and restore from, network shares. I think you've pretty much indicated as such; just making sure.

Agreed - this was always a key feature that was hard to achieve. You are correct that it stores the backups on a network location and the LiveCD restores from that network location.

• 11 months later...

I looked into URBackup and I saw that it does not backup GPT partitions. Does anyone know if this has been fixed? This is the main problem with WHS backups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

There is a hotfix to fix the UEFI based clients using GPT, for WHS2011, and Server 2012 and R2 Essentials supports it natively (and better).

As for URBackup, the changelog doesn't seem to indicate that it's been added, but I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know as Ive installed CentOS on my microserver. Ill have a look at this. Just setup Plex which is pretty good and need something to manage my backups now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

About using ZFS, I stayed away from it because someone who knew way more than me told me that all ZFS transactions take place in RAM and that you need lots of RAM and if you are not using EEC memory than you can get lots of errors. Does anyone know if that is the case??? I was really interested in FreeNAS till I found that out and am staying with a Linux NAS OS.

Thanks

Don