RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone tried their Microserver as a HTPC?

Just wondering if anyone has tried using the microserver as an htpc? I realize that it would need a video card but was wondering what the opinions are? Thanks

cskenney

I edited the title to be a little more descriptive.  There is currently another post in the forums where someone is talking about adding a video card to their N54L.

I'm currently using an N36L as an HTPC and it's working very well. I've installed a low-profile fanless Radeon HD 6450 which connects to my AV receiver by HDMI. I can watch h.264/x.264 files encoded at up to 1080p resolution. The trick is to enable DXVA acceleration in whatever media player you use, otherwise you'll get choppy playback. I'm using XBMC and Media Player Classic Home Cinema, both of which support this feature.

To control it from the sofa I'm using a Logitech DiNovo Mini, which is a keyboard and trackpad in a palm-sized device.

Edited by russelk

Great. Thank you both. Now I can look into it further. Thought I would ask, if it wasnt worth it then I wouldnt be spinning my wheels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bringing this back up because I have a question related to this....  Have an N40L that I have Windows 7 Ultimate on which serves my extenders around the house (8 gigs ram and upgraded to an SSD).  Has anybody tried to run a ceton infinitv 4 usb?  My concern comes with the specs on the processor only being 1.5 ghz and ceton listing 2.0 ghz as the minimum on their website.  I already asked at ceton but only got the canned response.  Curious if anybody runs it on the N40L and if so how well it performs.   

LoneWolf

If you're using a Ceton, I'd go with a second HTPC box.  Reason being, I'd probably want some more encoding power from the CPU if you may be DVR-ing four shows at once.  I think you're better off with a CPU that has AVX and QuickSync instruction support like a Core i3, then you get the bonus of Hyperthreading as well.

Edited by LoneWolf