RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pglover19

StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender with WHS2011. What are these products and how are they used?

pglover19

Thank you all for the valuable information so far..

I have another question and maybe this is another thread I need to start. I will be using WHS2011 on the both servers (N40L and N54L). Someone mentioned using StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender with WHS2011. What are these products and how are they used? Which one is better and why?

jmwills

Listen to the Podcast from two weeks ago.  Basically, these are replacements for the Drive Extender technology that was present in V1.  I use Drive Bender in one of my boxes and I was surprised how easy it was to configure.

http://homeservershow.com/drive-extender-replacements-for-your-server-on-home-server-show-216.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HSSPodcastBlog+%28The+Home+Server+Show%29

pglover19

Listen to the Podcast from two weeks ago.  Basically, these are replacements for the Drive Extender technology that was present in V1.  I use Drive Bender in one of my boxes and I was surprised how easy it was to configure.

http://homeservershow.com/drive-extender-replacements-for-your-server-on-home-server-show-216.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HSSPodcastBlog+%28The+Home+Server+Show%29

I listened to the podcast and leaning toward Stablebit Drive Pool. Not sure I understand the concept of creating a drive pool and how it can be used. My current N40L has drive letter C through H.  

C = OS partition (Disk 1)

D = Apps (Disk 1)

E = Data (Disk 1)

F = Data (Disk 2)

G = Data (Disk 3)

H = Data  (Disk 4)

I assume when you create a pool it's a virtual drive and you assign it a drive letter (in my case I:) that is different than the physicial drives with a drive letter. Then you would add the physical drives or folders to the pool. When I update data on the physical drive, it should then appears on the pool drive as well. So, can you update and add data directly to the pool drive? If yes, will it appear on the physcial drive? If yes, how do you know which physical drive the data will appear on? I know, I have a lot of questions.. Just want to fully understand the product before purchasing.

jmwills

Basically, yes.  It allows you to take drives of different sizes and build a "virtual pool" of data.  You will only see one drive letter when the pool is created.

ikon

The drives you add to the pool can have drive letters, but they're not required. These products will see the drives anyway and allow them to be added to the pool. I believe you can even have multiple pool drives, at least with the more recent versions of the products.

I'm not sure there is a way to know where the files are stored if you add them to the pool, but consider this. Let's say you create a folder MyFolder on a specific disk, say drive H:. Now imagine adding files to MyFolder by adding them to the pool drive. I don't run these products, so I don't know for sure, but it doesn't seem too far fetched to believe that the new files will be added to the drive H:, since that's where the folder is located. Now, if drive H: gets full and you try to add more files to MyFolder via the pool drive, all bets are off I would think.

diehard

True. Let me add that you can create the MyFolder Shared Folder through the wizard to point to the H: and or the Pool. So the shared folders can be seen in the Dashboard as MyFolder (H:) and/or MyFolder (pool). So depending if you drop files into H: folder, they will stay on that physical drive. If you drop the files in the MyFolder(pool) then stablebit drive pool decides which drive the files will go to depending on your setting for the pool.

If you fill up the MyFolder(H:) shared folder on the H: drive, you will get a warning when the drive is full. Do not mistake this as the pool no longer has enough free space as you did not put the files in the pool.

I hope I didn't confuse folks even more.

ikon

Thanks diehard. That's even better than I hoped.

Joe_Miner

Thank you all for the valuable information so far..

I have another question and maybe this is another thread I need to start. I will be using WHS2011 on the both servers (N40L and N54L). Someone mentioned using StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender with WHS2011. What are these products and how are they used? Which one is better and why?

Hey Pglover19!

I’ve been using StableBit DrivePool and Scanner for awhile now on my WHS-2011 setup which you probably already know from the HSS 216 but there are other places to check out IMHO.

Check out StableBit’s manual for DrivePool – I think it will answer a lot of your questions about DrivePool.  But you may also want to check out HSS 212 and the following blog postings that have info/examples on DrivePool (and Scanner):

Installing Windows Home Server 2011 on a SSD in a HP MicroServer N40L

Updating my Windows Home Server 2011 installed on the HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer

I admit I’ve had very little experience with Drive Bender but based on what Dave, Jim, Matt and John said in HSS 216 I think it provides virtually identical functionality to StableBit so I don’t think you can go wrong with either.  The biggest feature, IMHO, is their ability to provide an easy upgrade path to another server platform in the future.  Personally, I’m partial to StableBit because of my past good experience with it – StableBit Scanner has definitely saved my “Bacon” a number of times!  YMMV.  There’s a ton of additional info in the forums and on the blog/podcasts.

Don’t forget to plan out a 3-2-1 backup strategy that works for you.

Edited by Joe_Miner