RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Unable to find Server

Technogod

I'm trying to restore my laptop but I get a network error saying it's unable to find the Server. I've tried loading 32-bit drivers and still I'm unable to find the Server. I have an HP Pavilion g7-2320dx Notebook with a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. It must be an incompatibility issue with this controller because I can take the hard drive out, install it in another computer and it connects to the Server.

Is this the same issue discussed in another thread?  If so, I think we discussed loading the x64 drivers and trying it.  This is V1, right?

Assuming this is WHS-V1 you have on your server.  What OS do you have on the laptop?  If it's Win 7 I've found that finding the 32bit drivers for Vista or XP for the NIC would work when the Win 7 32bit drivers didn't.

I used this "driver pack" successfully in the past when running into the same issue

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/03/29/tranquil-pc-release-network-driver-pack-for-windows-home-server/

you basically install the pack on a thumb drive and let the client search until it finds one it likes and you are good to go.

Edited by Renny

Yes, it's V1. I've tried x64 drivers, x86 drivers and x86 Vista drivers. None of them work.

Have you tried updating the NIC driver on the client?

V1 is 32bit so 64bit drivers will never work.  [been there, done that, got the T-shirt]  Try going to the manufacture of the NIC and get XP and VISTA 32bit  drivers.  That's what I had to do for my Win 7 machines even though they were 64bit.  The 32bit drivers enable it to make the connection to V1.

Those links appear to be dead.

My error on asking for x64 drivers....I failed to read v1 when I was typing.  The RealTek cards have proven to be a pain.....except in 2011 where if you use the restore software from the server and not the supplied discs, it works as advertised.

My guess is the newer RealTek cards are just not backwards compatible with Server 2003, for this purpose.

[been there, done that, got the T-shirt]  

I want to see a photo of the T-shirt :D

I downloaded some generic RealTek drivers from the internet and they seem to work. I haven't tried jmwills' trick yet for WHS2011. I will once I figure out how to create bootable media from the folder on the server.