RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Change Motherboard

zeeke

Im running in to a problem where I have no more SATA ports available on my mobo and no more PCI spots for a separate sata card.

My question is; Is it possible to change the mobo in my WHS? If I remember correctly M$ is a bit picky when it comes to that kind of upgrade for OEM software.. Anyone ran in to this already?

zeeke

Trying to change out the motherboard on an OEM system is going to be opening a huge can of worms, and adding a PCI sata controller card can give unexpected I/O errors. Is running external USB drives not something you wanted to explore? What about exchanging the current drives to larger drives?

Well, I have no drive under 1TB in my share and the next step would be to add 2TB drives but that isn't optimal. Id rather use the 1TB ones for a while longer and change them in a year or so when 3-4 TB drives are available.

USB is not an option right now, I want a server, not an octopus :)

Do you have an eSata port? Can you get a higher density SATA card maybe one with an eSATA? Then, how about one of the 4 or 5 drive external enclosures that use port multiplier?

I would start by getting a 2TB drive and swapping out the 1 TB drives one by one. Then use the 1TB drives in the external enclosure. Get 2TB drives for the enclosure if your wallet can support it!

All assuming this is a home-build..

There are 2 issues here:
1/ The licensing. You were asking about the issues with OEM. Technically, the OEM license is for a single computer. That said if the activation doesn't gets messed up, all you'll have to do is call the activation phone number and tell them that you had to replace the motherboard and you shouldn't have any problems.

2/ The drivers. Windows gets cranky about this. The biggest issue is the driver for the hard drive controller. If you upgrade to a motherboard with a different hard drive controller, you are pretty much going to have to do a reinstall of the WHS on the box. (You should be able to do this with very little problems just by doing the server reinstall which shouldn't lose any data). If you're going to a motherboard with the same controller, you might not have to do a reinstall. Depending on any other hardware differences (video card, network, etc) you might have to reinstall some drivers. Just make sure that any motherboard you buy has windows 2003 drivers available.

I hope that that helps!