RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
brwd09

Backup network share with CrashPlan

jmwills

If this is ENTIRELY on your local network, setup the Share Permissions with "Everyone" full control and the same with the Security Permissions.  This will give everyone full access and you can then begin to trim back from there until you break it.

brwd09

If only. The unfortunate truth is that, if I want to back up my client computer backups (and I do), it would mean transferring multiple tens of gigabytes every night. This is because the backup files are updated every time a new backup is made, so they're considered 'new' files that need to be transferred. That would blow my caps in less than a week.

Good point, and I understand your problem.  I am glad that I do not have caps on my DSL line.

I don't worry about backing up my PC's.  I don't store anything on them.  All of my data is stored on the OpenFiler NAS which is why I am trying to get my CrashPlan backuup working correctly again.  I take the stance that I can always rebuild my PC's if one of them were to die.  Since my data is not on the PC and is protected I feel that I am in pretty good shape.  You may want to consider doing something similar.  But that is not to say that what you are doing is wrong, it is just not the way that I have chosen to set up my systems.

brwd09

I thought that I would give you all an update on my progress.  I was not able to find any way to do what I was trying to do.  I could not find any way to get the permissions to work correctly.  I needed to be able to make an account on my Windows 7 machine to be valid on the Openfiler machine.  I could not find any way to do that without having a domain.  My Windows 7 machien is Home Premium, so it is not domain aware.

So, what I ended up doing was to create an iSCSI LUN on Openfiler and move all of my data there.  Since this is now a persistent drive that the windows 7 machine considers to be an internal drive, CrashPlan can see it fine and I have no issue.

The main drawback that i have with this is that my only way give access to other computers on my network to this data is to share that drive from the Windows 7 desktop.  I had used the shares directly from Openfiler so that the data would appear to be in the same place from every workstation, that wouldbe less confusing for my wife.  But since that does not work I have gone with the iSCSI route.  I could map the iSCSI LUN form multiple machines, but I don't think that is a good dea, so I will share out the drive from the Windows 7 machine.

I did have some problems with permissions on iSCSI.  At first I did a quick format when I mapped the LUN.  Everythign seemedto work fine, I copied data and was able to see it and drill down into the file structure.  But I had no permission to do anythingwith it.  I could see it and browse the file structure, but when I attempted to open a file I woudl get an error stating that I did not have the right permissions to access the file.  I also was not able to delete anything.  When I looked that the permissions the files had only Unix permissions, no Windows permissions.  So I reformated the drive using the full format (which took 3 days to complete on 1.5TB) I was then able to access everything corectly.

So, that is what I have done.  There may be a better way to do what I am doing, but this is what has worked for me.

ikon

Hmmm, just re-read this entire thread. Seems to me that it would just have been easier to have a WHS2011 box that all the client computers could access. I'm not familiar with OpenFiler, so maybe I'm missing something, but I can't help wondering.

brwd09

Yes, that would have been easier, but I only have v1 WHS and would have had to buy 2011.  And since Microsoft has obviously abandoned that platform I decided not to pursue the dead end.  Openfiler is an open source NAS/SAN platform that can run on almost anything.  There is a strong community behind it and there is much more storage functionality with it than with WHS.  And since the only functionality form WHS that I use is the storage function, Openfiler is the better solution for me.  I don't backup my workstions, I am only concerned with backing up my data which is why i was going through this excersize to begine with.

ikon

I'm not trying to talk you out of what you're doing. It just seemed that you're having some irritating issues that $50 could have resolved for quite a few years to come, since WHS2011 is being supported until April, 2016. That's a long time for a server OS. And that's mainstream support. Presumably, like other MS operating systems, security patches will continue for a number of years after that. I'm not sure if, or when, I'll transition to WSE2012 but, until then, I'll continue to use WHS2011. That's my 2 cents.....

jmwills

For $50....it's worth it, if nothing else in the time you have already spent trying to solve the problems. 

ikon

:)

brwd09

I hear what you are saying, and I don't disagree.  But this was not supposed to be as difficult as it turned out to be.  And, it was a learing experiance. I now know a lot more about accounts and permissions on my data than I did before, so that makes this not a complete waste of the time that I spent on this.  As for my statement about support for WHS, I was not talking about Microsoft taking support calls and providing security updates, I was refering to the fact that there will be no new development on this product.  We will see no new features or functionality provided by them.  I also don't expect to see any new add-ins being created for this product.  And I woudl not be suprised to see development on the existing ones come to an and as well.  I saw add-in development for v1 dry up quickly when WHS2011 came out.  So rather than continue to use something that is going nowhere I decided that I would rather go to a product that has active development going on.  So far, the Openfiler part of this project has been the easy part.  It is the giving access to the workstations in a manner simple for my wife that has been hard.

Thanks for your comments.  I appreciate your thoughs and ideas.