RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
brwd09

Backup network share with CrashPlan

brwd09

First, let me appologize up front if this post is a bit long.  I have looked around on the forums and I have not found anyone addressing my particular issue.

It has been a while since I have had time to workon my network much.  I have spent the pas couple of months retiring my v1 WHS.  I have moved all of my data to an OpenFiler machine with 3 2TB drives that I have set up with RAID5 using the OpenFiler software.

I had been running CrashPlan on the v1 server to backup music and photos.  I want to continue to do the same with the new configuration.  My issue is that I have the data sitting on a share on the OpenFiler machine.  I did that so that multiple machines would have access to the data.  If I had put it on an iSCSI partition it would be simple to use CrashPlan.  Since it is a share, it is not so easy.

I have found instructions on the CrashPlan web site and a blog that describes how to use CrashPlan with network shares.  I have followed the instructions but have not been able to make this work.  I think that my problems is with which accounts I need to use for the various steps in the process.  I need to have an account to access OpenFiler, to run the batch file that maps the drives, to run the scheduled task to map the drives, and one for starting the CrashPlan service.  The instructions say to use the SYSTEM account to map the drives and to run the CrashPlan service.  But I am not sure what account to use for the other things.

I have created an account on the OpenFiler machine that I wanted to use for this.  So it has rights on the OpenFiler shares.  My account on the Windows 7 desktop thatI have running CrashPlan also has rights on the OpenFiler machine.  I have written a batch file that uses Net Use to map the 2 shares thati want to back up.  What account should the Net Use command use to map the drives?  I have also made a task in the Task Scheduler to run the batch file when any user logs onto the machine. It is set to run with highest permissions.  And lastly, I have the CrashPlan service running and have tried to start it with the SYSTEM account and with my own account.

So, I have a number of options and I have tried several of them.  For the most part I am getting the drives to map, but they are fully visible to me as a user.  The instructions say that I should see them as disconnected drives, but CrashPlan should see them and be able to back them up.  What I am getting is that I can see them and browse them, but CrashPlan does not see them at all.

Can anyone help me?  Has anyone else done what I am trying to do?  I am pretty sure that my problem is that I am not useing the right accounts for the various parts of this that need accounts.  I need to ensure thatI am using accounts with rights on the OpenFiler machine when that is needed and an account that has rights on the Windows 7 machine when that is needed.  I do not have a domain, so all of the accounts I have are local accounts.

Thanks for the help.

jmwills

From the surface, it seems like an inability of the Win7 machine to read the OpenFiler shares.

There was a thread here about using CrashPlan locally for just such a purpose and they got it to work.  I believe this was entirely a Windows environment, however.

brwd09

Thanks for the response.  If you or anyone can send me a link to that thread I would really appreciate it.  I found some discussion about CrashPlan, but the ones I read were using it to back up machines to a NAS on the network.  I am trying to backup my NAS to the cloud, so it is a different problem.

I don't think my problem is with the Windows 7 being aboe to see the shares because I do see them from that machine.  It is CrashPlan that can not see the shares.  however, you may be right if it is because my user account can see the shares.  By that I mean that I use the same ID and password on the Windows 7 machine and the OpenFiler machine.  I do that to make things simple on my network (but maybe that is causing the problems now).

Thanks again for the help.

ikon

CrashPlan works site to site over the internet (e.g. your house to your parents' house) for free, right?

brwd09

Thanks.  I will check this out tonight after dinner.  I never think to look on Lifehacker.  I have seen some good stuff there that other people send to me, but I never think of it as a place to go look myself.

CrashPlan works site to site over the internet (e.g. your house to your parents' house) for free, right?

Yes, that works great.  I used it with my brother for a while.  I put a drive into his computer and then backed up my data to his house onto my computer.  And that is free.  The software is free so you simply install the software on both computers and then set each other up as friends.  Thee are fairly simply step by step instructions on their site on how to do this.  The only somewhat difficult thing you need to do is to open a port on your firewall/router to allow this traffic through.  Their site does tell you what port they use.  I think you may be able to chhange that port if you want to somethign different.

ikon

Thanks for the confirmation brwd09. I can't use CP myself because I am one of those who has bandwidth caps that would get blown in a few days of backing up over the internet. I asked the question to elicit the information for others to use. Thanks again.

brwd09

Thanks for the confirmation brwd09. I can't use CP myself because I am one of those who has bandwidth caps that would get blown in a few days of backing up over the internet. I asked the question to elicit the information for others to use. Thanks again.

You could get around the caps for the initial backup by seeding a drive.  This means that you can do a full backup of what you want to protect locally and then send that drive off-site and install it at the new location.  You now have a full backup of whatever size you desire that is off-site.  From then on you will only be sending changes over your bandwidth to the off-site location.  That may allow you to still use something like CrashPlan even with bandwidth caps.

ikon

If only. The unfortunate truth is that, if I want to back up my client computer backups (and I do), it would mean transferring multiple tens of gigabytes every night. This is because the backup files are updated every time a new backup is made, so they're considered 'new' files that need to be transferred. That would blow my caps in less than a week.

brwd09

I am still having problems with this.  I looked at the Lifehacker article referenced above andd it is more for the basics of how to set up and configure CrashPlan for the basic use of it.  It is a good article but is not about what I am trying to accomplis.  Darn!

I think that my problem now is that I need to figure out how to make the SYSTEM account able to access the data that is stored on the CrashPlan machine.  I use an account on the CrashPlan machine to map drives to the shares on CrashPlan.  That seems to work, but the permissions don't seem to allow access from the Windows 7 machine.  The SYSTEM account does not have rights on the CrashPlan shares.  The SYSTEM account is also used to run the batch file that uses net use to map the drives.  Should the permissions for the account used to map the drives pass on to SYSTEM and therefore give SYSTEM permissions to those shares?  If not, how do I get the local SYSTEM account to have permissions to the shares on another machine without the need to createe a domain?

Any advice wouldd be fgreatly appreciated.