RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RoboCopy Backup Scripts

ikon

That's awful. I didn't have any issues like that. Have you contacted FrozenCPU. I really would do that first.

You're right: the screws used in the EX-503 are pretty specific to it.

FWIW, I wrote to Lian-Li to get spare drive 'handles' and screws (so I can cycle backup drive sets in and out of my OffSite EX-503). For $40 I got 10 spare handles and 40 screws, and it didn't take all that long either.

Thanks ikon. Yes, I just sent an email to FrozenCPU with my order # as well as submitted a contact form on their web site. Appreciate the quick suggestions. It's unusable without the mounting screws at a minimum.

That's for sure. It's a shame that a great device like the EX-503 starts off by leaving such a bad tasted in your mouth. Hopefully, you will be able to wash that taste out very soon.

Ikon. Great news. Called FrozenCPU this morning and they're shipping me out a replacement screw pack and set of keys today. Pretty amazing customer service and only a single phone call.

That is great news. I called them once and they were really good that time too - seems to be an excellent company.

Will definitely order from them again. Perhaps a 2nd EX-503 depending on how this goes. BTW Lian Li also responded from Taiwan and is sending another set of screws unexpectedly. Perfect timing.

Speaking of - FCPU already shipped! BTW when I ordered I noticed there was a discount code for Overclockers.net forum members. We should really get recognized by their store. Could be good publicity both ways.

Sounds like a good idea.

When I ordered my first EX-503, I wanted to get 2 of them, but their site only showed 1 available, so I ordered it and figured I'd get another when they had them in stock again. Anyway, they called me about the order (something about me being in Canada IIRC) and I mentioned that I'd wanted to order 2. The guy asked if I wanted them to check the stock to be sure there weren't any more in stock. I said, "Sure.". He checked and found there was another one on the shelf, so I got both of them - very nice service.

BTW, I heartily recommend you pack the extra screws into a container and label it EX-503 :)

• Like 1

Actually, neither. I'm running mine in the 'Clear RAID & Port Multiplier' mode. It's what I call true JBOD, meaning that the drives are presented to the system as individuals, not as a single volume. The drives are then pooled together using DrivePool.

The idea is that, by using DrivePool, I will be able to read each individual drive in the case of catastrophic failure (fire or whatever) by retrieving my OffSite units. Recently, Stablebit added the ability to Eject USB drive pools, so I can be reasonably confident that I won't get data corruption by yanking a drive too early (as I might with eSATA).

ikon, was hoping you might be able to assist.  I loaded my EX-503 up with 4 HDDs (each 2 TB).  By default the EX-503 is configured as Clear RAID & Port Multiplier as you suggested.  When I power on the device (connected to USB 3.0), it's detected but Device Manager shows a new unrecognized entry as: Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed).  Am not quite sure how to get it to find the correct driver for the EX-503 unit itself.  The manual seems to indicate it should just recognize a native windows driver?  Thanks again.

Why not connect it to a USB 2 port to start with, so it can install any drivers it might need for the EX-503 itself, and to prove that it will work with the system properly? After that is all OK, go back to USB 3.