RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RoboCopy Backup Scripts

ikon

At first glance that looks great. Tell you what, copy the "Echo...." line, open a CMD window, paste the line in, and see if it works manually.

At first glance that looks great. Tell you what, copy the "Echo...." line, open a CMD window, paste the line in, and see if it works manually.

OK - I've done as you suggested and it works fine manually.  In that case, I assumed it would work the same when scheduled w/ highest permissions.

Yes it should. What I would do next is REM out all the statements in the CMD file except the Echo line from above. Then run it from Task Scheduler as see if it still runs. If that works, unREM only the lines that come before the Echo line and check the results.

I am confident it's something simple that can be fixed.

Thanks. That helped a lot. I ended up removing the If statement for a second Offsite backup drive letter altogether. It was REM'd. Since I don't currently have a second drive. I'll just re-add if ever I do.

Also, called FrozenCPU. Their site is accurate. No EX-503s or ETA since they ship from overseas.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again ikon. Been using robocopy and it just works with minimal resources. Previously I was using an app called syncback pro to do the same thing. Only benefit of SBP was that it seems to back up CrashPlan files that are in use...

Question - is it possible to add another task to the inline script? For example I'm currently backing up multiple folders to destination drive S. However I'd like to backup specifically my f:/serverfolders/movies and f:/serverfolders/TV to another external drive letter E. Wasn't sure whether I could add a new line to existing inline script? Or had to create another cmd and add it into the script sequence that's called by task scheduler.

Sure you can add as many command lines as you want to a script. The script will finish one command and then proceed on to the next. Your only possible concern is how long everything will take, but that applies to any backup technique.

The main reason I break up the scripts into separate CMD files is so I can run them separately if I want to. It adds a measure of versatility.

BTW, nice to hear the scripts are working so well for you. And you said it exactly the way I feel about it -- it just works.

• 1 month later...

Actually, neither. I'm running mine in the 'Clear RAID & Port Multiplier' mode. It's what I call true JBOD, meaning that the drives are presented to the system as individuals, not as a single volume. The drives are then pooled together using DrivePool.

The idea is that, by using DrivePool, I will be able to read each individual drive in the case of catastrophic failure (fire or whatever) by retrieving my OffSite units. Recently, Stablebit added the ability to Eject USB drive pools, so I can be reasonably confident that I won't get data corruption by yanking a drive too early (as I might with eSATA).

ikon, am finally getting around to adding a Lian-Li EX-503 drive enclosure to my WSE12R2 box.  Picked one up when FrozenCPU got them back in stock -- should arrive this week.  Was going to throw 4 x 2 TB HDDs I have in this unit and use the same DrivePool setup you're using.  Probably just run it as a Nearline backup for a while and if all goes well add a second EX-503 as an Offsite.  Appreciate the suggestion.

Ugh.  So I received my new EX-503 enclosure today from FrozenCPU only to find it's missing not only the key to unlock the chasis (I picked lock with a pin), but also the necessary mounting screws to mount each drive to the rails.  I tried a few different types of screws that came with past PC cases but they weren't the right type to allow the rails to slide easily.  Trying to contact Lian-Li in Asia ought to be a painless process... yikes.