RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup Disk Almost Full

revengineer

Hi,

I have been running my WS2012E box for about 2 months now and overall things are running smooth. I think within a month I can be in a place where I do not regret having retired my WHS v1.

Over the past two weeks I have been watching my Server Backup drive and noticed that it is filling up slowly but surely. The backup is for the OS drive only and the drive is now 84% full. Looking at the backup history, I noticed that these backups do not get cleaned up like the client backups. All backup seems to be retained. If nothing happens automatically , this means that I will be running out of space in a week or so.

I have two questions:

1. Will the Server Backup do some magic once I hit the 100% full mark to continue backups at that time?

2. If not, how do I maintain the server backups? Is there somewhere a retention policy? 

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

• revengineer

What is the retention policy of your backups?

They are whatever the default is; I have not messed with these settings. I know how to set this for the client backups, but for server backup I do not even know how to access this setting.

Can you provide some details about the drive structure  .....how many drives and of what size.

Can you provide some details about the drive structure  .....how many drives and of what size.

Sure: The OS is a 500 GB drive, the OS install itself i only ~20GB. The backup drive is also a 500 GB drives. All the Server Backup does for me is backing up the OS drive. ServerFolders are NOT backed up. The backup is per default twice daily. On the backup drive, I now have 2 daily backups for the period 17 Feb 2013 through 3 Mar 2013. I really do not really need to save that many incremental backups.

It should delete the oldest backups to make room for the new backup.

Then I shall not be afraid of the drive filling up. I will just wait patiently and watch the backups over the next two weeks. Will report back with my findings.

PS: Correction: In my replay to jmwills it should have read "for the period 17 Feb 2013 through 23 Mar 2013".

^^ what he said. If you're backing up the entire system (including data) it might make some sense to back up more than once a day, but for just the OS I think once a day is more than enough

You should start to see a clean up at the one month level in those daily backups.  For me, the OS isn't that important as they are numerous ways to recover, not to say I don't back it up, but think outside the box.

For me, a schedule of once a day, once a week, and once a month is workable. The weekly backups override the daily backups, and the monthly override the weekly backups.

I keep 8 daily backups, 5 weekly backups, and 13 monthly backups.