RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add-in Central Now Available!

awraynor

I was just cruising homeserverland when I noticed that add-in central is now available to everyone. Installed on my test box, installed easily and working quite well so far. Nice to have a central place to view add-ins available for WHS.

If you install it, provide your feedback on your experience with the product.

A.k.a. The Mother of All Add-ins

I just installed Add-in Central. The first thing it did was inform me that there was an update for Add-in Central itself. So I hit the Download button to get it. After the dl, a message prompted me to allow WHS Console to close and then uninstall the current version of Add-in Central after restarting Console. I did that, and after restarting Console once more, the newest version showed up in the Available tab. I installed that, and that was that. ;)

Have to say this add-in looks pretty interesting.

There's a service installed with this: Add-in Watcher Service. A quick check of Task Manager shows 0 CPU and about 23 meg of memory usage. Looks OK to me.

I was slightly confused during the update process, but quickly went through the upgrade. It is nice to see a centralized place to view the available addins. In an unrelated item, is it possible to increase the size of the console window on a client PC so I see more of the program on a widescreen monitor?

@awraynor Unfortunately the console is a fixed size (disregarding the netbook minor tweak in PP3).

I tried to update AIC to .31 and it hung the console. Task Manager showed it running but I couldn't click in it or move the box. Almost as if there was a hidden box somewhere that needed a click.

Did the update dance to get .30 un-installed and .31 installed. My gripes are more with WHS itself. It would be nice to have an Add-In install without restarting the console. At least when you close my console after an install, restart it for me.

Just an idea on the upgrade process. I'm so used to using Wordpress that I like the way it presents plug-in updates. It shows you what version you have, what new version is available, a changelog link, and the upgrade link. I like to look through the change-log to see if the update addresses any of my problems or would improve my experience. Some authors put notes in the changelog that say if your not experiencing these issues don't upgrade. It also gives you a chance to see if you need to backup your settings or not. Sometimes it's better to wait for the next update. If it's working don't mess with it right? I know Wordpress is different than WHS. Just an example.

If it's working don't mess with it right?

I know this guy, not mentioning any names but he lives in Canada, who might disagree. haha :)

Good point, Dave, on the add-in uninstall/console restart thing. It does seem kinda old school, the way they do it.

I didn't have any of the install issues mentioned above. Mine was pretty much like any other add-in. However, once it was installed it did have the wrong version listed as the latest for Time Traveler. I notified them of the issue (link below) and they quickly corrected it.

http://www.homeserverland.com/forums/officemaven/f/128/t/1902.aspx

I have been a beta tester. I provided feedback on a number of issues I was encountering. They were all addressed quickly and I have been happy with what I am seeing when I use the Add-in.

One thing to note. Sometimes you will find errors like the version number is wrong or a download / install doesn't work quite right. Many people will immediately blame the Add-in Central program when there is a problem. However, the problem may actually be the add-in you were trying to install or update. Many of the programmers aren't necessarily doing the coding properly so the install or un-install programs get hung.

Keep that in mind if you run into problems and be sure to give the feedback to the guys running Add-in Central. They are trying to go back to the authors of problem add-ins to have the bugs fixed.