RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive setup for Hyper-V host

Jesse

Hello,

I am getting closer to rolling out my Hyper-V host and I have some questions about the HDD configuration I have chosen.

I have two 60GB SSD's in raid 1 for the Hyper-V host OS (2012 Hyper-V core - no GUI), a pair of 3TB green drives in raid 1 for data, and either 3 500GB WD RE4's in raid 5 or a pair of 1.5TB greens in raid 1 for the VHD's for VM's.

Is there any reason I should choose one over the other (raid 5 or raid 1 for VM's)?  Is neither of these a good idea?

As for VM's I am planning on WS2012E as a replacement for WHS 2011 and two or three windows VM's for various purposes.  Any reason I should not run all of these VM's on the same array?

I want to get things right before I get too deep.

Thanks,

Jesse

For sure, you do not want the Greens for the VHD's, in my opinion.  There are just too slow and I'd consider nothing less than 7200 RPM drives.  I run about a dozen Hyper V servers inside a 2012 server with a 90 gig SSD (see signature line) and all of my VHD's reside on one WD Black drive.

My data is on a HighPoint 2720 card (RAID 5 5x2TB) which I will be moving to WD Reds this summer (4 x 3TB). 

One important aspect you failed to mention is RAM.  Get all you can afford.

If I read the setup right, you are going to run the 2012E box inside of the 2012 Core server?  Any plans for the physical DC in case that one goes down?  Or will you be running DHCP and DNS from the router?

If you haven't bought your gear yet you may find value in checking RDBenfield's plan at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4964-hardware-selection-for-dedicated-virtual-host/?p=54339 and his exchange with Schoondoggy, NoControl and others about his setup design -- while you're at it check out NoControl's setup http://www.racecarmike.com/virtual-machines-for-the-home/

Hello,

Thanks for the help.

This machine is built on a super micro X9SCM-F-O and a Xeon E3-1230 with 32GB of RAM.  Yes, 2012E will be running inside Hyper-V core, and I plan to keep DHCP and DNS in the router.

So, I should be ok to pass through the two 3TB greens in a raid 1 as data drive for 2012E? 

I had thought I could use 3 500GB RE4 drives I have on hand as a 1TB raid 5 for the VHD's, but it has been a while since I looked at my mobo, and it turns out I am short a sata port of making this work.  But at approximately 60GB per VM, I should be able to get 3-4 VM's onto 500GB without any trouble.  If you are running that many VM's on one drive I should be fine running only 3 or 4 on a singe raid 1 array.

Jesse

You should be able to pass thru those drives with no issue as long as they are internal and not USB.