RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012 Storage Server - old hardware

Jason

I need to spin up a basic, low-powered storage server box in my home environment as a temporary storage location when I'm moving large amounts of data off of other systems.  Recently dug up an old Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with an AMD Athlon X2 4850e 45W CPU, 4 GB DDR2 RAM.  Seems perfect for such a box that's going to be tucked away with a bunch of drives.

- Will this hardware run WS2012 Storage Server x64?

- Should I use storage spaces or my spare Adaptec 5805 hardware RAID controller?

All opinions welcome.  Thanks!

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you want it to run WS2012? With older hardware it might be a closer match to run an OS from the mobos timeframe.

Good question. I guess I just wanted to run a current OS. For now I've gone with Win 8 Pro x64. Since jury still out on storage spaces, I'm going to run a RAID0 array on my old Adaptec 5805 hardware controller. Is a file server for temporary storage so I don't want to lose HDD space for redundancy in a RAID5. There are 4 x 2 TB HDDs in this case.

Sounds like it could be a good candidate for Stablebit DrivePool or DriveBender. At least that way you can still read the drives individually if you want.

I need to spin up a basic, low-powered storage server box in my home environment as a temporary storage location when I'm moving large amounts of data off of other systems.  Recently dug up an old Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with an AMD Athlon X2 4850e 45W CPU, 4 GB DDR2 RAM.  Seems perfect for such a box that's going to be tucked away with a bunch of drives.

- Will this hardware run WS2012 Storage Server x64?

- Should I use storage spaces or my spare Adaptec 5805 hardware RAID controller?

All opinions welcome.  Thanks!

I ran Windows Storage Server 2012 Standard on a N40L with no problems -- I don't have any experience with your GA-MA78GM-S2H but I would guess that you would be fine (it's running W8P64b now and has a Gigabit NIC) -- the only way to know for sure would be to try it.  A RAID card set on RAID 0 (since it's temp storage anyway) could be a lot of fun too!

Edited by Joe_Miner

I noticed Acronis doesn't support WS2012 yet (due in next release).  In the meantime, are there are WS2012-compatible apps that allow drive imaging?  I'd like to image my 5 TB RAID5 over to my file server so I can migrate to RAID 6 with a new Adaptec 7805 series card.  Adaptec recommended I image the drive, delete the current array and re-create the array as a RAID 6 then restore the drive image to the new RAID 6 array.

I noticed when I removed my RAID array, all previous shares disappeared from the WS2012e STORAGE tab.  Now that I've restored the same RAID array, I was hoping I could just re-map the shares/folders in the STORAGE tab without having to manually re-add each share again.  Is this not possible?  Or would I have to rollback to a server backup created prior to dropping the array?

I don't know of any way to magically restore shares & permissions. 

One idea I can think of would be to restore the entire data drive from an image backup, probably one made using Windows Server Backup. I don't know for sure if that would work, but it might.

Another idea might be to have a VHD of the data drive and recover it.

'Course, both of these idea requires pre-planning, so they are probably of no use to you :(

I don't know of any way to magically restore shares & permissions. The one idea I can think of would be to restore the entire data drive from an image backup. I don't know for sure if that would work, but I think it might have the best chance.

Thanks ikon for the suggestion.  Turns out, I was able to just quickly re-add all of my non-standard shares.  In other words, those not included in WS2012e by default.  Though I did have to toggle the permissions by user upon adding each share and browsing to the same directory and drive letter where I had restored the data to.  Would be nice if, when a share link is "broken", it will still have an entry under STORAGE tab for the incomplete link.  Upon restoring, that link could then be re-established.