RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tazoul

Strange problem with NC360T card

cskenney

The BIOS used by Joe_Miner is the latest and only one we all have been using.

Joe_Miner

Have been busting my head most of the day with this... I have been running my N40L with the modded bios without any problems whatsoever, and today I installed an HP NC360T dual gigabit network card. For some reason that so far I am failing to identify, if the onboard nic is not disabled, then under the "Boot" tab the "Hard Disk Drives" disappears, and the only devices I can select in "Boot Device Priority" to boot from are the 3 network ports (2 from NC360T plus the onboard nic). When I disable the onbard nic and reboot then I do get the "Hard Disk Drives" submenu, and in "Boot Device Priority" I get a selection of the hard disks and the NC360T ports. So in order to boot from an hdd the onbard nic has to be disabled... I have seen other people using all 3 ports without problems so I am wondering if it is simply a matter of a bios setting somewhere, or if flashing the modded bios was not 100% succesful, or I don't knwo what else...

You're using a different duo NIC than I did.  I use the Intel EXPI9402PTBLK Two Gigabit Copper Server Connections 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 2 x RJ45 - OEM  This is the same NIC I had a link to in the blog paper.

This morning I moved it back into my N40L and saw the following:

gallery_1229_27_381211.jpg

The BIOS-MOD that I've used is the one from BIOS-MODS that is based on the latest BIOS available from HP -- i.e. #041 dated 7/29/2011

BIOS-MODS didn't change anything in the HP BIOS except to make visible those things that HP had hidden.  The only other BIOS that's available is from THEBAY but I think he may have actually changed the BIOS -- don't know for sure.  Check our Links page for a link to THEBAY

gallery_1229_27_76380.jpg

Here's my Boot Settings Menu in RANGER

gallery_1229_27_32676.jpg

The Boot Device Priority shows my Corsair SSD as my 2nd BOOT device (my External DVD drive was attached when I took this pic -- that's why it's first) and the onboard NIC as my 3rd -- this is with the INTEL DUO NIC installed as the next PIC shows

gallery_1229_27_33612.jpg

tazoul

Hi Joe,

Thank you for replying. The HP card is exactly the same as the Intel one, just rembranded under the HP name. I just found the glitch in the modded bios, if possible can you replicate and confirm?

In Advanced->IDE configuration->SATA controller mode when it is set up as "RAID" then if you use a dual port NIC and also have the onbard enabled, the problem I described previously happens, ie there are no hdds to select to boot from. I just changed the "RAID" to "AHCI", enabled the onbard nic and rebooted, and everything is fine, the "Hard Disk Drives" menu is there, and I can select an hdd as a boot device! Which mode are you using, AHCI or RAID?

The problem obviously with this is that I cannot RAID my drives as I was planning too...

If you can replicate this problem, then I wonder if the original bios would have this glitch...

ikon

It's well documented that the onboard RAID is problematic when using the mod BIOS. For example, IIRC, the system isn't bootable if the SATA is set to RAID.

Joe_Miner

Well, that was a learning experience. :)  I was convinced for a while today that HP had added some goodies to their NIC .........

Alex documented last year that you can not boot if you are using the unlocked BIOS and the SATA Controller is set into RAID mode http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4727-successfully-enabled-port-multiplier-on-esata/#entry50402

LoneWolf has found that  "disabling SATA / IDE port combining as described with the modified BIOS also disables the ability for the Microserver to see my HP Smart Array P410 hardware RAID controller. The controller is no longer seen in BIOS as a "drive option" and therefore cannot be set to take preference at boot. Re-enabling the setting and saving, makes the controller visible again."  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4727-successfully-enabled-port-multiplier-on-esata/page-2?#entry51004

That was also referenced in http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-build-and-bios-modification-revisited.html

If you are looking to RAID you may want to take a look at what LoneWolf and Schoondoggy are doing with the P410's http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5063-theoretical-question-on-microserver-icydock-mod/

I've had success using the Rocket 640L for drives in the ODD in the N40L with the BIOS-MOD but I was not using RAID -- I was just using it to speed up my drives.  I haven't tried the RocketRAID's yet.

Edited by Joe_Miner

tazoul

Many thanks for the replies and the links, I was not aware of the problems of the modded BIOS. I can boot if I set the SATA controller to RAID but it messes the boot devices when using a nic. :)

So if someone plans to install and use a RAID card instead of the onboard controller, is there any need for the modded bios?

ikon

The mod BIOS allows you to run the onboard single SATA port and the eSATA port on the back at SATA II speeds instead of just SATA I. It also allows you to enable hot-swapping on all the SATA ports.

Joe_Miner

Many thanks for the replies and the links, I was not aware of the problems of the modded BIOS. I can boot if I set the SATA controller to RAID but it messes the boot devices when using a nic. :)

So if someone plans to install and use a RAID card instead of the onboard controller, is there any need for the modded bios?

I think only if you need the Port Multiplier http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4727-successfully-enabled-port-multiplier-on-esata/#entry50306 

ikon

Hah, forgot port multiplier :)

nogi

The first link you posted I had also looked at.  I can't locate in his blog where he stated he is using the modified BIOS.

Hi, just joined so I thought I'd comment seeing it's my site that was linked. My N36L machines have been retired, running the N40L and N54L now but essentially the same BIOS was applied to all my microservers. I applied the BIOS to open up the speeds on the ODD port. 2 of my microservers have the HP NC360T installed. Those boxes are running FreeNAS 8.x with 4 x 3TB Hitachi HDDs and the 3 NIC ports (onboard + NC360T) in LAGG. With FreeNAS I'm running RAIDZ and have not had any of the issues that have been reported with software RAID5. The only microserver I am running RAID5 on has a P410-512 attached to it.

Hope that clears my configuration up.

• Like 1