RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tazoul

Strange problem with NC360T card

tazoul

Have been busting my head most of the day with this... I have been running my N40L with the modded bios without any problems whatsoever, and today I installed an HP NC360T dual gigabit network card. For some reason that so far I am failing to identify, if the onboard nic is not disabled, then under the "Boot" tab the "Hard Disk Drives" disappears, and the only devices I can select in "Boot Device Priority" to boot from are the 3 network ports (2 from NC360T plus the onboard nic). When I disable the onbard nic and reboot then I do get the "Hard Disk Drives" submenu, and in "Boot Device Priority" I get a selection of the hard disks and the NC360T ports. So in order to boot from an hdd the onbard nic has to be disabled... I have seen other people using all 3 ports without problems so I am wondering if it is simply a matter of a bios setting somewhere, or if flashing the modded bios was not 100% succesful, or I don't knwo what else...

ikon

If it was my N40L, I would flash the BIOS back to the OEM one and see if there is a difference.

LoneWolf

I found some quirks with the modded BIOS, so I flashed back.  In my case, playing around with the SATA settings would disable my RAID card.

I thought it was just a storage issue, but perhaps there could be resource allocation issues as well.  As Ikon said, I'd flash back to stock and see what happens.

tazoul

I am also thinking it might be something with the modded bios, what puzzles me though is that some people which also have flashed to the modded bios are using a NC360T plus the onboard nic with no problems...

jmwills

Flash it again.....

cskenney

I am also thinking it might be something with the modded bios, what puzzles me though is that some people which also have flashed to the modded bios are using a NC360T plus the onboard nic with no problems...

Do you have a specific example of someone using the modded BIOS with the NC360T?  I would also recommend going back to stock BIOS and seeing if the problem is fixed.

tazoul

Do you have a specific example of someone using the modded BIOS with the NC360T?  I would also recommend going back to stock BIOS and seeing if the problem is fixed.

I have seen at least two. The owner of this blog http://blog.nogi.net/?cat=5 is using it and his system can see all 3 ports,  and the guy on this forum also http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-n40l-build-and-bios-modification.html#idc-cover

I can go back to stock BIOS see if it works then maybe put the modded one again, but it leaves me wondering if there are different versions of the modded bios out there, else I cannot explain it...

jmwills

That should tell you (flashing backwards) if it is software or hardware related.  This could be nothing more than a bad PCI slot on the board or a bad card.

cskenney

I have seen at least two. The owner of this blog http://blog.nogi.net/?cat=5 is using it and his system can see all 3 ports,  and the guy on this forum also http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-n40l-build-and-bios-modification.html#idc-cover

I can go back to stock BIOS see if it works then maybe put the modded one again, but it leaves me wondering if there are different versions of the modded bios out there, else I cannot explain it...

The first link you posted I had also looked at.  I can't locate in his blog where he stated he is using the modified BIOS.

Joe_Miner does show he installed an Intel dual port card in his Microserver.  He is typically using the modified BIOS but he does a lot of reconfiguring.  We probably need him to chime in on this to confirm he can see all 3 ports and he is using the modified BIOS.

In the mean time I think flashing back is the best trial for you.  You may be the one who figures out a problem that everyone else has been wondering about.

tazoul

The first link you posted I had also looked at.  I can't locate in his blog where he stated he is using the modified BIOS.

Joe_Miner does show he installed an Intel dual port card in his Microserver.  He is typically using the modified BIOS but he does a lot of reconfiguring.  We probably need him to chime in on this to confirm he can see all 3 ports and he is using the modified BIOS.

In the mean time I think flashing back is the best trial for you.  You may be the one who figures out a problem that everyone else has been wondering about.

The first one posted a reply here that he is using the modded bios and gets all 3 ports without problems http://blog.nogi.net/?p=68#comment-746

It would be nice if we get a feedback from Joe_Miner, I can see from the photos in his posts that he has all 3 ports connected, so I suppose it works for him also...

I will get back on the stock bios probably later and see if it will work with that. Is there any latest version of the modded bios or the one posted in a link by Joe_Miner is the latest one?