RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cannot access Hyper-v Server 2012 when domain controller is shut down

Jesse

Hello,

Finally getting back to banging on my Hyper-V Server box. 

I have hyper-v server 2012 (core - no GUI) running as a host with WS2012E in a VM.  I am running the hyper-v management tools on my win 8 laptop to administer the host and clients.  The problem appeared when I joined the laptop to the WS2012E domain.  Once the laptop is joined to the domain I cannot get it to connect to the hyper-v server if the WS2012E VM is not running.  I am guessing I have something configured wrong, but I am having no luck figuring out just what that might be.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse 

Have you tried logging onto your Win8 client locally, rather than via domain authentication/ I'm guessing it's either a DNS issue - i.e. the WSAT isn't able to "find" the Server 2012 without the DC/DNS server online - or just a straight authentication issue.

Try logging onto the client using the computername/username in the username portion (i.e. logging on as a local client) and see if you can access the tools that way.

Adding to what TK said, find the Server by its IP address.  Where is DHCP?  On the WSE2012 server or your router?

Just a suggestion: on Domains I prefer to have the DC handle DHCP and DNS.

I have wondered about this.  What are the advantages of allowing the server to handle it over the router? 

My primary concern is that my wife works at home, and if the DC goes down while I am at work it would not be pretty.  She can handle plugging in the backup router or modem if necessary.  Getting a virtualized DC back on line - not so much.

Jesse

You have to do what works for you situation of course and, in this case, that could mean leaving DHCP on the router.

Mostly, my reason for having the DC do DHCP and DNS is because MS Domains are soooo Domain Controllor centric. It just seems that letting the DC take care of most of this stuff avoids potential problems.

One thing to consider if you leave DHCP on the server, would be to extend the lease periods for an address.  Even if a DHCP server goes down, the client will be okay until you reboot or the lease expires.

"The voice of experience is speaking"

Following on from jmwills, quite a few years ago I studied up on MS' DHCP leasing algorithm. I figured out a lease time of 7 months and some days & hours (I forget the exact period). The point is that the lease period I calculated is an even multiple of the algorithm's basic unit.

This was at a corporation. We never, and I mean n-e-v-e-r, had a DHCP issue, with servers or clients.

• 1 month later...

The above is really good advice and i've been recently expanding the lease teams at a few sites I look after. I'd get DHCP off of your router as if you're running a domain environment at home you may be as well enjoying the advanced features of such an environment. IE, windows server DHCP tweaking.

• Like 1