RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drive Recommendations

ShuG

Just set up my N40L with a win7 sdd and had 2 x 2Tb wd Greens one failed and WD replaced it with a 3Tb Green, I am now in a position to get another drive and am considering whether to get another 3Tb Green or a 3Tb Red. The drives will be individual drives containing data which is backed up externally , advice please

Just set up my N40L with a win7 sdd and had 2 x 2Tb wd Greens one failed and WD replaced it with a 3Tb Green, I am now in a position to get another drive and am considering whether to get another 3Tb Green or a 3Tb Red. The drives will be individual drives containing data which is backed up externally , advice please

IMHO, A lot depends on how you plan to use the drive – If you might mirror it with your other 3TB then I’d definitely go Green.  (I have 2 WD30EZRX’s in a Win 8 Storage Space Mirror on my X58)

But, normally Speed is the 1st thing I look at.  Then Price.  While the old Green’s underperformed the Red’s I’m seeing the newer Green’s showing equivalent performance to the Red’s.

Now, if the drive is going to be used in a 24/7 set-up where noise is a big consideration then all else roughly equal I’d look at the Red’s.

Red’s are quieter but I haven’t been impressed with their failure rate.  (full disclosure: the first one I got failed out of the box – it has been a LONG time since that had ever happened to me and has never happend to me with a WD Green or a Seagate -- )

If speed/reliability is a major consideration then I’d go with the ST3000DM001 – their price is almost always competitive – they’re very fast – and they’re very reliable – though they drink a little more power.

Right now Newegg is showing a $30 premium to go Red (WD30EFRX) over Green (WD30EZRX) – while the ST3000DM001 and the WD30EZRX are priced the same.  Hello Barracuda!

Edited by Joe_Miner

IMHO, A lot depends on how you plan to use the drive – If you might mirror it with your other 3TB then I’d definitely go Green.  (I have 2 WD30EZRX’s in a Win 8 Storage Space Mirror on my X58)

But, normally Speed is the 1st thing I look at.  Then Price.  While the old Green’s underperformed the Red’s I’m seeing the newer Green’s showing equivalent performance to the Red’s.

Now, if the drive is going to be used in a 24/7 set-up where noise is a big consideration then all else roughly equal I’d look at the Red’s.

Red’s are quieter but I haven’t been impressed with their failure rate.  (full disclosure: the first one I got failed out of the box – it has been a LONG time since that had ever happened to me and has never happend to me with a WD Green or a Seagate -- )

If speed/reliability is a major consideration then I’d go with the ST3000DM001 – their price is almost always competitive – they’re very fast – and they’re very reliable – though they drink a little more power.

Right now Newegg is showing a $30 premium to go Red (WD30EFRX) over Green (WD30EZRX) – while the ST3000DM001 and the WD30EZRX are priced the same.  Hello Barracuda!

One Red failing out-of-box could be attributed to bad handling by the shipper.  I've had Seagates fail within a week of arrival, so I think one is a preliminary result, with no disrespect intended.

One of the reasons I think the Reds are priced higher is the TLER support, making them valuable in a hardware RAID configuration.  Unfortunately, Seagate has left a bitter taste in my mouth after having two of three 7200.11 1.5TB drives fail within less than a year of purchase (up until the .11's, I'd owned .7-.10 series drives and been happy).  I won't "not" buy Seagates, but the WD Reds have an extra year of warranty, and WD is the last to have a decent advanced-RMA policy.

I miss having more choices.  I had been starting to like Samsung drives until Seagate bought them, and Hitachi had some good choices prior to WD's purchase of them (though RMA-ing Seagate and Hitachi could be a pain).  There are companies I don't miss that are gone from the HDD business, but I really wish there was at least a third solid competitor.

One thing to note, the Red Drives coming from NewEgg are all bare drives but the three I have received are so overpackaged with bubblewrap, it's unbelievable.  And mine were shipped to Afghanistan!

Just a small note: I, too, have had the situation of a dead Red (:)) out of the box. I wouldn't worry about it. I just RMA'd the DOA drive; all of the others, including the replacement drive, have worked flawlessly. It's beginning to seem that Red HDDs either are DOA or work forever (although forever isn't all that long yet).