RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

current client backup drive to Raid5

bigt11

Looooong time lurker, first time poster.  So I have WHS2011 and my client backups are on a motherboard AMD Chipset raid 5 (4 2TB drives) we will call it the R: drive.  I Acquired a LSI 8308ELP and want to use that.  So I put 2 more 2TB drives on the LSI in raid 0 (we will call it the S: drive) so I can create a temporary drive to just straight up copy over all the files off of the R: drive onto the S: drive.  I dont really have any files besides client backups.  So essentially after it is copied over to the s: drive, I will remove the R: drive, recreate it on the LSI controler, format the space on WHS, call it R: again, then copy back over all the files to it.  Will that actually work?  Will WHS recognize the new r: drive after I removed it?  Anything special I have to do.  I searched the forums, but could not find a problem like this.  Thanks for any suggestions.

^^ What he said. My first thought was, "Where are the backups of the backup files?" Why? Because it means you can try anything you like without risk of losing data.

Thanks guys.  I do have a 123 backup currently.  Its not a huge deal If i have to redo all the home server backups, but I thought i might as well try to save what I have. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

just following up that everything seemed to work out just fine.  I copied the client backups folder with teraCopy to the other raid array.  I also did go into the services of the server and turned off the backup service so no conflicts would happen when copying.   I then removed the raid array that was on the motherboard and recreated it with my lsi raid card.  I created a partition that would be used for the client backups (named it the same drive letter that WHS2011 was initially looking at).  Recopied my data back onto it, then restarted the server.  It found all the content no problem and I have since made a few more backups to it and no conflicts so far so i think its a mission accomplished.  Thanks for the help.