Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfs830

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition" error

11 posts in this topic

So i just got my brand new N54l and and trying to install windows server 2012 on either the 250gig hard drive that came with the server or 2 750gig wd black drives and i keep getting the error

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"

I am not able to get it to go past the screen.  Anyone know how to fix this.  I have been googling but have not found a fix.  

I am using a iso program to emulate a hard drive.

im burning a win2012 dvd now and wil use my usb cd rom drive to see if i can install it with that..

Help!!!

thanks in advance

You may be on to something. It could be that the installer is trying to install onto your ISO emulated hard drive. Please let us know how the DVD-based install goes.

well that worked.  Once i used the usb cd rom drive its worked with out any problems.  installing server 2012 now.  I have used this emulation drive to install 2012 just last week on brand new dell 720 server.  Not sure why  it would not work on the hp server.  

Out of curiosity, does WS2012 present a list of disks so you can choose which one you want to use (I just can't recall)?

It sees all physical discs, or at least the ones the BIOS is presenting, which may be the problem.

I use a USB key and use Microsoft's USB<->DVD Download tool to load their OS .ISO files to it.  I've found there's a definite speed boost in install, so I keep an 8GB flash drive around for the purpose (Server 2012 is just a little too large for a 4GB one).

If I read the original post correctly, he is using some sort of emulation software and not the traditional method of the MS USB tool.  Is this correct?

I have also found that MS's tool will rarely work with non-MS images.

I was using a Zalman ZM-VE300-B which is a hard drive enclosure.  It has built in software to emulate a cd rom drive.  It works well on everything else I have used but not this system.  

More than likely, its the BIOS.  Try the Microsoft USB tool.  It works great.