RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB Restore Key Can't Find WHS 2011

stertinius

Does the client have a RealTek NIC? If so, you need another driver for sure. The MS supplied driver absolutely will not work.

Oddly, the MS supplied driver is a specific one, but the one that works is a RealTek Generic driver.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• jmwills

• stertinius

stertinius

The laptop is using a Broadcom netlink gigabyte card. The desktop is using a dlink dge 530t gigabyte card. I have downloaded the latest drivers for the dlink and updated them. I will do another backup in whs 2011 to see if the new drives are there and if they work.

Let's keep this simple; only deal with one client at a time. Which is the one that you couldn't restore in your OP?

jmwills

the drivers I am using are supplied by whs 2011 in the Drivers for Full System Restore folder, which is supplied with each whs2011 backup. I have come to the conclusion that the network drivers supplied by whs 2011 are the wrong ones. I have even connected the laptop directly to the server with an Ethernet cable. Again no success in connecting to the server.

You would need a crossover cable for this.

You would need a crossover cable for this.

Well, not necessarily. I agree, a x-over would be best because it would be certain, but a lot of NICs these days have N-way negotiation.

jmwills

Agreed.  I believe this issue is not with the NIC drivers on the clients, but rather with is in the restore package on the server and those would be quite older.   Just another reason to always use Intel, Broadcom, and Realtek NIC's.

My Dell laptop has a Realtek NIC and has no issues.

IS the OP trying to recover some data or something more massive?

You have a RealTek NIC that works with the MS supplied driver? If so, you're really lucky. I have 5 computers with RealTek NICs that refuse to work with the MS supplied driver. In order to do BMRs to these computers I have to use the Load Drivers option or Client Restore and read in the drivers from a USB stick.

Is it possible you built the RealTek driver into your Client Restore?