RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB Restore Key Can't Find WHS 2011

stertinius

stertinius

I am having  a problem using the client restore cd or the usb restore key. I have copied the drivers from my laptop backup to the USB key. When I boot the laptop using this key things go well until the device drivers page is loaded. I click on the button to search for drivers, it finds the network drives and loads them. The next screen where it tries to connect to the WHS 2011 server fails, the server can not be found. I have tried using the win 7 64 drivers on a different usb drive and booting from the client restore cd. Again the server can not be found. Any help to solve this problem will be appreciated

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• jmwills

• stertinius

I think we might need some more info, but one thing to clarify right off. It's probably a typo, but you said "network drives" and not "network drivers". Cab I assume you meant "drivers"?

I'm trying to remember the order of the process. Do you get to the part where it asks whether you want to restore a 32 bit computer or 64 bit?

stertinius

ok, yes that was a typo it should have been drivers, with either cd or usb you the first screen you see asks you to choose   32 or 64 bit os . Then the windows logo appears and then the full system restore wizard appears asking you to choose time and currency format and keyboard. The next screen asks you to load device drivers. I click load drivers and it does load the drivers for the network card. the next sreen is where it attempts to find the server. this is where the process fails. it says it can not find the server  

OK, this won't solve your restore issue, at least not directly, but can you confirm that you can ping the server's IP from at least 1 computer?

jmwills

Is the client x86?  Seems like I remember a thread where you need both the x64 & x86 drivers for this to work.  And this could be nothing more than an incompatible USB stick.

stertinius

Yes, I can ping the server from  both my laptop and my other desktop computer. I have tried using the  client restore cd with the Drivers from Full System Restore folder on a usb drive. The results with my win 7 32 bit desktop and my win 8 laptop (connected by Ethernet  cable) unfortunately remains the same. The network drivers are loaded but the server can not be found.

Just to summarize & verify: if you try to restore a Win7 x32 client, you are loading the Win7 x32 NIC driver, correct?

stertinius

the drivers I am using are supplied by whs 2011 in the Drivers for Full System Restore folder, which is supplied with each whs2011 backup. I have come to the conclusion that the network drivers supplied by whs 2011 are the wrong ones. I have even connected the laptop directly to the server with an Ethernet cable. Again no success in connecting to the server.