RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
robertdi8

How to remove "missing drive" from WHS v1

robertdi8

Hello,

I was trying to add a 3 TB drive to my server and have somehow run into a "missing" drive.  The console will not allow me to remove it because of "file conflicts" anybody have any idea on how to resolve this?

8574135078_c1a24c74a4_m.jpg

As well my server is continually calculating the server storage capacity...I assume ti is related?

Thanks,

Dave

jmwills

Does the Drive still show in the Disk Management console?  If so, you can take it offline, remove it and reboot.  That should do it. I think.

robertdi8

Does the Drive still show in the Disk Management console?  If so, you can take it offline, remove it and reboot.  That should do it. I think.

Yes it stills shows in disk management services.  How do I take it "offline"?  Sorry for the ignorant question.

Dave

jmwills

In the column that shows the drive (not the partition) right click and the option should be there.

robertdi8

In the column that shows the drive (not the partition) right click and the option should be there.

right click offers:  convert to dynamic disk or convert to MBR or properties or help...I suspect I am not looking in correct place?

8573126357_ae5ce1826f_m.jpg

Dave.

jmwills

Is there anyway to make those snapshots larger?  It's been so long since dealing with 2003, can't remember it that option was from 2008 on.    DiskPart from a command line should be able to do this, but again, I'm grabbing at straws to remove the drive from the console from even seeing the drive.

robertdi8

Is there anyway to make those snapshots larger?  It's been so long since dealing with 2003, can't remember it that option was from 2008 on.    DiskPart from a command line should be able to do this, but again, I'm grabbing at straws to remove the drive from the console from even seeing the drive.

8574242070_fb082933a2_h.jpg

8574247406_f0428fcb61_b.jpg

jmwills

Covert to MBR as V1 is not going to see a drive over 2TB due sot a lack of GPT support.  So, your drives 1 & 3 in Disk Management are physically the same drive, unless I am missing something.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

diehard

adding 3 TB drives to WHSv1 can be done, but require's some hacking because the drives must stay GPT and this wizard converts the drives to MBR.http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/16580-guide-how-to-make-gpt-4k-sector-drives-and-3tb-drives-work-as-storage-pool-drives-in-whs-pp3/

You might loose some data trying to remove these drives. Run - Type "services.msc" Stop the services "Drive Extender Migrator Service" and "Virtual Disk Service" (you will get a prompt here that this will also shut down additional services.. Thats fine.)

It is important to stop these services almost immediately after adding the disk , we don't want any data copied to this drive if we can help it during this critical point. However it may be lo late for you, see if you can manually take your data off these drives. The longer you have the Drive Extender Migrator Service running, more of your data could be written to the drives. 

Look in your registry under the following path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes\ look for the entries for your 3TB drive and delete them, also see if there are 768 gig drives, delete those to.

Look in your registry under the following path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks\  look for the entries for your 3TB drive and delete them, also see if there are 768 gig drives, delete those to.

Shut down the server and take out the 3 TB drives. Boot up. Go back to the Console and Server Storage Tab and delete the remove the drives. This time if should work. Might require an other reboot.

jmwills

If anyone would know.....DieHard would.