RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID Controller Help Please!

haydz

Hey guys,

Recently i purchased the HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL, and 4 Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001.

My plan was to set them up in raid 10 as a storage drive. But i have tried everything and I am having no luck.

Basically I installed in into my pcie slot on the mother board, booted into my normal windows config and installed all the latest bios (v1.3) and driver software (v1.1.11)

Then i used the hardware controller they included (by pressing ctrl H on boot) it detected all the drives and also it let me create the array. Then once i booted into windows i went to disk manager and it said to set up the new disk, so i started doing that I choose MBR the first time then also tested with GPT. The loading thing appears then a few moments later all the disks drop and the raid controllers beeps.

I also tested building the arrays in the web management software they provided but the same thing occurred. but even quicker, So after building the array it lasted a few secs then drives started dropping out and the beep happens. (I think it fails as soon as activity happens on the drive)

Anyone know what else i can try? or if I am a drop kick and its not compatible? Any information would help thanks!

My specs are:
Windows 7
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Motherboard Rev2
ntel Core i7 950
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB E Series SSD (OS Boot drive)
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ (program files)
4 Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 (empty what i am trying to raid)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB Overclocked
Edited by haydz

Are you confident it's not a heat issue?

The beeps you are hearing might be emanating from the mobo in which case you can diagnose the fault.

Edited by Renny

Those beeps in a certain order have a meaning....just like a BIOS.

It is just one long beep, and it means one of the raid cards has dropped, like i mentioned above.

Try  different slot or RMA it. 

I'd try removing the card, after one more attempt, and then go into the event viewer and see what clues are in there.

Have you tried in in a different slot?  It really sounds like a conflict.  I have seen some systems require the controller card be in the first slot.  I have seen others require you shut down USB 3.  You have to try and isolate when it works.  It could also be a bad card, it happens.  Also the X58 was notorious for memory access/controller issue which can be aggravated by using a card that uses the memory channel.  You can verify this by slowing up the memory (going from 1600-1333) as a test.  I would put my money on how this is configured in the X58.

Have you tried in in a different slot?  It really sounds like a conflict.  I have seen some systems require the controller card be in the first slot.  I have seen others require you shut down USB 3.  You have to try and isolate when it works.  It could also be a bad card, it happens.  Also the X58 was notorious for memory access/controller issue which can be aggravated by using a card that uses the memory channel.  You can verify this by slowing up the memory (going from 1600-1333) as a test.  I would put my money on how this is configured in the X58.

Thanks for helping out. Since my first post i looked into it being the motherboards fault and updated the bios, Still didn't work. But I will try another slot next then i will try taking the RAM speeds down. 

Try  different slot or RMA it. 

I'd try removing the card, after one more attempt, and then go into the event viewer and see what clues are in there.

Only message i get from the logs are:

error.gif 2013/3/20 19:24:0 Disk 'ST2000DM001-9YN164-Z3400F0B' at Controller1-Channel2 failed.

error.gif 2013/3/20 19:23:0 Disk 'ST2000DM001-1CH164-W1E3PSVS' at Controller1-Channel1 failed.

error.gif 2013/3/20 19:20:36 Failed to initialize SAF-TE enclosure.

error.gif 2013/3/19 19:39:29 Disk 'ST2000DM001-9YN164-Z3400F0B' at Controller1-Channel2 failed.

error.gif 2013/3/19 19:39:29 Disk 'ST2000DM001-1CH164-W1E3PSVS' at Controller1-Channel1 failed.

Edited by haydz

I agree it appears to be a controller but just to rule out everything, what kind of cable did you use?  Did you get a Highpoint cable or another type?  If so, did you buy a forward connector or a reverse?  There are tow types and both look the same.