RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Verifying Port Forwarding Failed

Technogod

I have a WHS V1 that has an error verifying port forwarding failed and if you go to Settings/Remote Access it says verifying connection. I'm using a DSL Modem IP 192.168.0.3 and Gateway IP 192.168.0.4. I have a Cisco Valet M10 Router IP 192.168.1.1. Should I change the Router IP to 192.168.0.2 so they are both on the same subnet?

I'm with jmwills. From my experience, an actual DSL modem would not have an IP address. Your DSL modem must actually be a router. That means you have 2 routers on your network, on different subnets no less. Before tackling your port forwarding issue, I would resolve things so you only have 1 real router.

Technogod,

Not trying to hijack your thread but perhaps we are having similar issues and an answer would help us both.

Through my ISP, I am using a Cisco DPC3825 modem/router. Frequently, out of the blue, I'll get a message pop up saying that "verify port forwarding on the router has failed". When I go into the console and try to refresh, it won't work. I then go to the Network status tab on the console and select ignore to get the status to go green again. Later - and I am not sure if it is a set amount of time - I check the Network status tab and the exception is gone and the port forwarding is working properly.

I take it that this is all done via the uPNP. Is there and issue with the router or is it "normal" for this to happen? IS there anything I can do to eleviate the issue?

Cheers,

Grant

I configured the modem for RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging and set the LAN IP to 192.121.1.2. Configured DSL Login and Modem shows connected. Connected modem to Router WAN port. For some reason when I select PPPoE on the Router it forces me to use 192.121.1.1 as the Router IP. Configured DSL Login and Router shows connected. Everything seems to be working except Settings/Remote Access still says Verifying Connection. So far, I haven't seen the error verifying port forwarding failed. I noticed UPDP no longer works. I had to manually forward my ports for WHS and Xbox. I configured the modem to allow remote access but I'm unable to access it via the internet. The Router has a different WAN IP address than the Modem. When I type in the Router WAN IP address it opens the WHS web page. If you need to checkout the Modem settings it's an Actiontec GT701D. My Router is a Valet M10.

"Configured DSL Login and Modem shows connected." Does this mean you configured the DSL login on the Actiontec? If so, I don't understand. If the Actiontec is in Bridging Mode, to me it shouldn't be possible to configure the DSL login settings. IMHO, that's contrary to the meaning of a Transparent Bridge.

Can you clarify this a bit?

OK, that's good. It also explains why you can't access the modem from outside the LAN (i.e. the WAN side). You shouldn't be able to access it because it's in Bridge Mode.

Determined Router was also causing a problem. Replaced Router. Now everything is working. No verifying port forwarding failed messages. The original problem where Settings/Remote Access says verifying connection instead of Available. If you turn Remote Access off and back on it gets to verifying website is available from the internet.