RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wondering if anyone has gotten SharePoint Foundation 2013 running on WSE

Drashna Jaelre

Like the title says. I've gotten it to install, but stuck on the authentication bit. You can access the site, but it automatically logs you on as "System Account", and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get "normal" accounts to log in instead.

Yeah, exactly.  I'd... fall back to v3, but you cannot install it on 2012 at all. And I don't have a computer capable of running Hyper V on. Well... I do... but a 1.3GHz core i3 laptop is TOTALLY not up to task. 

And I know I could use SharePoint server, but ... I no longer have access to technet, anymore, and I didn't have the force sight to download all the sharepoint installers.

And while, yes "System Account" is very insecure... I'm not concerned about that. It's the ability to log into the domain user accounts that I'm concerned about. :(

It's frustrating...

Have you created your SharePoint Access groups and are you running this in a Domain setting?  Foundation is the old SharePoint services, or something close to it.  If you try and run this on the same network as your Home Servers, you will have some port forwarding conflicts

The authentication piece did not change from 2010 just make sure you are using Classic and not claims authentication, that is unless you have some other means of authentication running.

Honestly, I never used 2010, just 3.0.  And I don't think that I never got an option, though I am familar with claims being bad.  IIRC, NTLM is the option that you want. 

Though I didn't create a group for SharePoint, so maybe that is the key. 

And yes, I'm trying to run it on WSE directly. And I know that SharePoint is not supported/recommend to run on a domain controller (in a large part because SQL Server isn't supposed to be run on a DC either)

There is one log file that is generated during the install that you can check for any errors.  Let me find the exact patch and I'll get back to you.

SharePoint can indeed run directly on a DC with a caveat....just think SBS.  Even if you get this working, the big issue will be remote access as WSE will want the ports as will SharePoint.

Since you are in a Domain environment, create a new Group called SharePoint Admins (or something like that) and put your Account in there.  Now go back into Central Administration and if there are no Web Apps other than Central Admin created, you will need to create one.

If you have have done this, go to the Permissions of the Web App and either add the newly created AD Group or your account directly.  That should get you going,

That installation log file should be in the folder nested under  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\17\LOGS   (I think 2013 uses 17)

SharePoint Foundation 2013 installs just fine. But it gets stuck on "System Account" for the logged in account. 

SharePoint Foundation 2010 ... fails on the prerequisite installer, can't configure web apps, after giving a compatibility error.

I'll hit it again tonight, or tomorrow, and grab the specific errors. Though... how would i set up 2013 to use the group? Other than the database, it never asked for an account or group.

Ideally, you want to create a setup account called SPAdmin or something similar.  SP Admin will then allow you to login and add other accounts as needed.