RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

vga to hdmi adapter works on the microserver

rfs830

I know its a long shot but I was wondering if anyone know if one will work on the microserver.  I just ordered one and then realized that I do not have a monitor in the house.  I only have a tv that only has hdmi connections and then my laptop.  I may just have to borrow one from someone to install server 2012 on it.  

Love the site and glad I found a great deal on the microserver.  

next on the list.. memory and upgrade my hard drives

now the question is.. green drives or red drives?  Im not doing software raid yet... but might try out zfs raid with freenas in the future.  

I can't see why an adapter wouldn't work. The only thing I wonder is whether the adapter would cost as much as a cheapo monitor.

Between Green & Red drives, my vote is definitely Red.

I agree with Ikon.  For the cost of a VGA to HDMI adapter you are 1/2 way to buying a cheap flat panel monitor.

I 2nd the vote for Red over a green drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Cable-Black-Support-Necessary/dp/B002TUC64W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363567579&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+hdmi

5 bucks from amazon.  Only reason why I was looking to use one

thanks on the info for the Red drive.  I was thinking of getting 2 of them and then setting up both drives for a vm of freenas

edit

the amazon pays says

NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information

wonder if the server will support that

Edited by rfs830

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Cable-Black-Support-Necessary/dp/B002TUC64W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363567579&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+hdmi

5 bucks from amazon.  Only reason why I was looking to use one

thanks on the info for the Red drive.  I was thinking of getting 2 of them and then setting up both drives for a vm of freenas

I may be wrong but I don't think that cable will work.

First note on the product page: NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function.

I don't think the VGA port on the Microserver is going to have digital signal output.

Most VGA to HDMI adapters are active devices that convert the analog signals from VGA to the digital signals required for HDMI.

I may be wrong....but I don't think so.  FYI - read the reviews on that device...

• Like 1

ah i see.  ok.  looks like i may just borrow a monitor.  once i have server 2012 installed i would only rdp into it.  Once I upgrade my tv, i think all news ones now have vga hook ups on it.  My current sharp that I use as my monitor is 8 years old but still works great

That's what I meant: an active VGA-to-HDMI adapter is somewhere between $100 and $150.

BTW, you may want to have a monitor anyway. I ran a WHS in headless mode for several years. It was a PITA. Unless you have a RAC in the server, you have a real problem doing BIOS updates and resolving boot issues.

Let's say you add a drive to the server and reboot. Suddenly, the server won't boot because it has changed the boot order on you. It's actually sitting there displaying an "Invalid boot device" message, but you can't see it. Without a monitor, how do you resolve the issue? That's just 1 example; there are others.

Good call, CSKenney.  Adapting VGA to HDMI in this case will likely prove difficult and expensive.

If you get the HP Remote Access Controller, you can remotely control the server from your laptop, including reboots and BIOS setup, as if it had an actual monitor.  You just need another available Ethernet port on your network.

Note, however, that at $80 (the price of the RAC), you can easily buy a used LCD; I've seen modest ones (15-19") going for that or less on Craigslist.  I bought a Dell 1908FP for bench test use for $50 some years back; that was a real find at the time, but you should be able to find 17" ones all day long for $40-50 if you live in a semi-populated area.

Edited by LoneWolf