RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SQL Server on Windows Home Server

jvk

Well, it took a few hours but I now have WHS running in a test environment. I only had 1 problem with the installation, LAN driver.

I tried installing SQL Server 2008 Developer's Edition and I'm happy to report that it seems to be working properly. I created a directory on the D drive and pointed all the files to that directory. I installed everything except the SDKs and BOL. The only warning I got during the installation was the reminder about having the firewall enabled.

I still can't connect from my laptop. I've had that problem before. I'll tackle that, and more testing, tomorrow.

Knowing I can run SQL Server on WHS makes me very happy.

I'll update this thread later.

Alvin

Alvin,

Good news. If you have problems connecting from the laptop make sure that you have the firewall port that SQL server is listening to enabled.

You may also want to set the make memory foot print for SQL server DB.

Regards,

Ethan

Well, I finally got the chance to look into the remote connection problem. Both TCP/IP and Named Pipes were disabled. After I enabled those and restarted the service the remote connection problem went away.

WHS, you just passed another test.

That is great AlvinRamard. I had the same problem connecting to SSAS cubes from MS excel when I installed SQL Server 2008 on windows server 2003. I eventually go it to work though. Thanks for the update.

jvk

• 1 month later...

out of curiosity, how powerful are the WHS boxes you're running SQL Server on? It just seems to me you would need some decent CPU & RAM to make it truly viable.

out of curiosity, how powerful are the WHS boxes you're running SQL Server on? It just seems to me you would need some decent CPU & RAM to make it truly viable.

I have it installed on a new machine, running Vail, with an i3-540 (3.06 GHz) and 5 Gigs of RAM.

Whether or not it needs decent CPU & RAM depends on it's use. I'm not using it as a production server. It's only intended to be use as a personal development box. My setup should powerful enough for that.

Alvin