RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SQL Server on Windows Home Server

jvk

Anyone put SQL Server on their Windows Home Server? I'm wondering if there would be any conflicts if I loaded it on my machine.

Thanks ebkayes - when you say database containers I assume you mean that during the setup process you set it to store the datafiles on the Network drives so that a large database won't accidently fillup the system partition.

AlvinRamard If you put SQL Server on you box, can you let me know how it goes?

Diehard I think that mediasmartserver.net article is about putting MySQL on WHS. I have never thought of doing that but it makes sense since WHS has a web piece to it. SQL Server is a little different than MySQL but at any rate, they are both database software. Thanks for the Link!

jvk

The other item for SQL server is the memory setting. Two installs for whs are wasu server install and tekradius. Both these installs document the memory setting. Also tecradius document the user rights options avalable within win 2003. Some users are not clear on the options.

I am a die hard DB2 user. But you are correct a database is a database. SQL Server has some nice features, but I miss recersive SQL in a dml structure or in nest set struchture for ...climing a hiercrchy, when work in db2. You just can't beat the math allalabe in the db2 prodect vs SQL server.

I love see a descripton on using ldap and active directory setting in a data bace. may be we need a dedicated section to rdms packages that are alalabe for ease of use in whs. Many of the produck are just just over kill. Do you need full rdms tool or will access do?

If you can write the erd diags in Access you can move then any where, showind the referental integritise. The pick of the database become a function in the final chose.
Forexample Db2 gives poewrfull modeling structures that just do not exsist in our other common choises. SQl server giver nice way two creat er diagraim at all the common three representitive levels.

jvk: Yep, I'll let you know. I'll be trying SQL 2008 Dev Edition. I'll try SQL 2005 Dev Edition if that does not work.

jam3ohio, I'm not sure how that relates. We're talking SQL Server, not SQL Server Express.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Alvin