RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Overlord66

USB 3.0 Card for N54L

ikon

Under Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus controllers I have the following 2 listings that I think apply:

• Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 controller
  • Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

LoneWolf

One question --while I think USB3 isn't a bad solution, have you considered using the eSATA port and an enclosure that uses eSATA?

You'll get equally good performance, and you'll be saving an expansion slot for possible other goodies.

ikon

I did use eSATA before I got the USB3 card. I prefer USB3 because it ejects and reconnects drives much more reliably than eSATA, yet retains eSATA-like speeds.

judgeschambers

Hey guys. Great info here on this forum! Mad props to JM for his how to's for the WHS install on a 60gb ssd!

Finalizing some additional hardware for my N54L and USB 3 is one of them, but I'm totally lost on which cards mentioned in this thread are available, fit and work. 

The one WD is discontinued (JM and others have posted about in various places), the other is via the CA amazon store (i'm in usa), and the other mentioned by schoondoggy is made by SEDNA.  Can someone clear my haze. ;-)

Edited by judgeschambers

schoondoggy

I have used WD, Rosewill and Sedna. I have not had time to thoroughly test the Sedna. Common factor with all, they have NEC/Renesas chip sets.

One other thing I like about the WD was that it did not require auxiliary power connection. 

You can still find the WD on Amazon and Ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-WDBFNJ0000NNC-WASN-USB-3-0-PCIe-Card-open-package-item-/130822985015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e75a85537

ikon

I see that the card is now listed as unavailable on amazon.com. Too bad.

judgeschambers

I have used WD, Rosewill and Sedna. I have not had time to thoroughly test the Sedna. Common factor with all, they have NEC/Renesas chip sets.

One other thing I like about the WD was that it did not require auxiliary power connection. 

You can still find the WD on Amazon and Ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-WDBFNJ0000NNC-WASN-USB-3-0-PCIe-Card-open-package-item-/130822985015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e75a85537

Yeah, I agree on the WD power option. I too saw the ebay item looking for alt sources before I posted. I snagged it just now actually since all seem to gone elsewhere.  Hope the short bracket comes with it....

Now I need to sort out this BIOS mod and get ready for the upgrade in order to use this card. Don't need to set up all the other options that come with it given my needs. Just the 3.0 portion.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by judgeschambers

UhClem

If your two main requirements for a USB3 card for the MicroServer are:

1. 2 x USB3.0 rear external ports (no front or internal ports)

2. No auxiliary power required

The best choice is the Plugable PCI Express to SuperSpeed USB 3.0 2-Port Expansion Card [link].

Compared to the WD card, the Plugable has the following advantages:

1. It uses the latest NEC/Renesas chip, the uPD720202 [vs the WD's uPD720200]. The new chip is faster, and uses less power. The lower power usage is apparently what encouraged Plugable to drop the Molex from this updated card. Users of the WD card should note that it almost certainly does not meet USB3 spec of 5V @900mA for both ports (when used in a LowProfile x1 slot; ie, the MicroServers). (I am inclined to believe this newer Plugable card does, since they were aware of the requirement, and justified the presence of the Molex on the original version of their card (though it was only needed for high power-draw usage).

2. Plugable appears to have knowledgable and sincere support staff. They do understand the USB technology and market. They are quick to update their products with the latest technology.

3. It is less expensive.

ikon

I take it you have 1 of the Plugable cards? If so, do you have some test results you could post, ATTO or something like that?

pglover19

I need a USB 3.0 card for my N54L. The WD USB card has been discontinued. So which card to get now? Please advise as I would like to order the card tonight.