RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Overlord66

USB 3.0 Card for N54L

Overlord66

After the untimely demise of my original HP 485 Home Server I've upgraded to a N54L. So far I have it set and running with Server 2012 Essentials and 3 2tb WD red's. I would like to add a USB 3.0 card so I can run my backups to an external. Any suggestions on a card for the N54L?

Also what cloud based backup are you using for 2012 Essentials?

schoondoggy

I have had good luck with any board that uses the NEC chipset. I like the WD card because it uses the NEC chip and does not require a secondary power connection, but I think the have quit making it;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815140001

The next time I need one I think I will try one of these;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1JM0FS2139

cskenney

The WD card referenced by Schoondoggy is the same one that Joe_Miner used in his Microserver build.

Ikon - what is different about the card you are referring too?  If I look up the model number for the part referenced from Newegg it shows up on Amazon as discontinued / out of stock.  If I look at the one you referenced it is a different part number and a Google search doesn't return too many hits.

Overlord66

I have a Western Digital that I ordered when I first got the system. I can't get the driver to install. In device manager it has the exclamation warning and gives error code 10 the device cannot start. Any ideas? Is there a better drive available for download for Server Essentials?

Edited by Overlord66

Joe_Miner

The WD that I used that Chris referred to above was found by S2012E and I didn't have to do anything with it.  Have you tried Windows update?

ikon

The WD card referenced by Schoondoggy is the same one that Joe_Miner used in his Microserver build.

Ikon - what is different about the card you are referring too?  If I look up the model number for the part referenced from Newegg it shows up on Amazon as discontinued / out of stock.  If I look at the one you referenced it is a different part number and a Google search doesn't return too many hits.

Hmmmm, I don't honestly know,

The 2 I just ordered I got from amazon Canada: http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-Other-Components-WDBFNJ0000NNC-WASN/dp/B004GF1PC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363534962&sr=8-2. Except for the "WASN" at the end, the model numbers of the units in both links I posted is identical.

I also just looked at the labels on the boxes for all 3 WD USB3 cards I've bought and they're also identical.

Bottom line: I've had good results with the 1 card I have installed, so I have no reason to doubt the one I linked to on amazon.com will also perform well. BTW I, too, got my first one based on JM's recommendation. :)

cskenney

Hmmmm, I don't honestly know,

The 2 I just ordered I got from amazon Canada: http://www.amazon.ca/Western-Digital-Other-Components-WDBFNJ0000NNC-WASN/dp/B004GF1PC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363534962&sr=8-2. Except for the "WASN" at the end, the model numbers of the units in both links I posted is identical.

I also just looked at the labels on the boxes for all 3 WD USB3 cards I've bought and they're also identical.

Bottom line: I've had good results with the 1 card I have installed, so I have no reason to doubt the one I linked to on amazon.com will also perform well. BTW I, too, got my first one based on JM's recommendation. :)

Actually all the part numbers are not the same.

Your Amazon Canada and the Newegg item all are referring to WDBFNJ0000NNC.

The link to Amazon you provided earlier is referring to a DHWDBFNJ0000NNC.  The difference is the DH on the front and the title for the item on Amazon also has a spelling error "USB 3.0 PCIe SperSpeed Card".

It appears to be the same item but the differences are odd....did some just make an entry error? 

ikon

I really wouldn't worry about the DH at the beginning. If we were talking about WD HDDs I would worry about it, simply because WD makes such a huge range of HDDs, and their model numbers can be quite, ahem, 'finicky'.

However, AFAIK, WD does not make a whole range of USB 3 cards, so I very much suspect they're all the same cards in reality. For example, the cards I got have the "WASN" at the end, at least in the amazon.ca listing, yet the one I installed seems to perform as well as the one JM uses.

YMMV, but I'm thinking the card I linked to would work just fine.

Overlord66

How is your card listed in device manager?

Edited by Overlord66