RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New System Drive for EX485

Grant B

Hey everyone,

I have a friend who has an EX485 system with the original system drive that is showing as unhealthy. He purchased a 2TB WD caviar black drive to replace the systems drive. He pulled all the drives out of the server and put the new 2TB drive in. When he tried to run the Server Recovery disc, the software could not find the server - I am assuming because of the disc?

The question is... would he have format the new drive as an MBR drive / NTFS format in a PC or enclosure prior to inserting it into the server and running the recovery disc? Is it the fact that the drive is totally blank that is not allowing the recovery software to find the server?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Grant

This happened to me frequently with my WHSv1 system. I would tell the system to repair the system drive and reboot. The system always came back up just fine.

My system never got to a point where the system drive would not repair properly but, if it had, and the system was still bootable using the original drives, even if the system drive is 'unhealthy', I would put all the original drives back in and boot it up.

Once I established that everything was working properly, with the exception of the system drive being unhealthy, I would shut the system down and clone the system drive to a new drive. Then I would boot the server from the new drive.

I did this in a sense. I SpinRite my drives a couple of times per year. To allow me to SpinRite my WHSv1 system drive, I did just as I described: shut down the system, clone the system drive, and boot the system from the clone.

That is why I am a big, big fan of the debug cable. The HP MediaSmart Servers are a great line of servers, and their "headless" operation gave them a nifty characteristic and so long as the server was operating flawlessly, this was a non-issue.

As soon as the server had a problem, however--blown out drive, BSOD or some other issue that necessitated console access, troubleshooting blind was a pain. The debug cable is a blue ribbon winner in my eyes.

and a bit more reading on doing a system recovery (title says restore...just ignore that).

That is why I am a big, big fan of the debug cable. The HP MediaSmart Servers are a great line of servers, and their "headless" operation gave them a nifty characteristic and so long as the server was operating flawlessly, this was a non-issue.

As soon as the server had a problem, however--blown out drive, BSOD or some other issue that necessitated console access, troubleshooting blind was a pain. The debug cable is a blue ribbon winner in my eyes.

I have one sitting next to my EX485 waiting for the day it's needed.....and I have yet to use it.

and a bit more reading on doing a system recovery (title says restore...just ignore that).

I have one sitting next to my EX485 waiting for the day it's needed.....and I have yet to use it.

My two debug cables are permanent fixtures on my servers. The first time I hooked them up I thought it was a bit of a pain that I had to take out the drives, pop out the backplane, slide out the PSU/mobo, hook up the cable, squeeze the cable into the right spot so I could get the backplane installed...hence them becoming rather permanent fixtures.

Now that I don't run WHS on them at all, they function as ordinary servers and the need for the cable is pretty much essential.

That's pretty cool that you haven't had a need for your debug cable yet. That means your server's probably been bright and healthy. :D

I have had to do this twice.  And it is really touchy for some reason to find the Server.  I had to push that little button on the server just right to get it to go through the reinstall process.  I think I tried it about dozen times before it cooperated.  The timing on pushing a paper click in that reset hole and starting the server is to far touchy than it should be.  So try different timing son how long to hold the paper clip in there to reset it.  I think I would hold it in there too long if I remember correctly.  Anyway I hope this helps.  Try it a few more times.

Here's the trick to get the timing right for putting the server into recovery mode without using the pin hole.

Just have the system drive (bottom slot) pulled out about 2"

Then power on and wait 5 to 8 seconds before you slide and lock in the system drive.

Takes about 4 minutes before it fully boots.

There no damage to the disk to slide it in with the power on, your not writing to it.

Run the Restore software on your PC to find the server, if it fails within 10 minutes, you messed up, try again.

Since your replacing the system drive, you have to select Factory Reset. That deletes and formats all drives, USB included. Make sure no USB drives or printers are connected.

FYI, I would suggest putting a jumper on pins 7,8. WHSv1 prefers 512k cluster disk. the 2TB usually are set to 4K, unless you have a EADS drive. Before you do anything. Adding the jumper later after a format is to late.

Search for Joe Miners post on the subject. WDidle.